Coatings My first attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coatings My first attempt

Hoping this is the right area. Being a newbie I'm sure this has been discussed before. Made my first batch of 120 coated projectiles yesterday. Rather time consuming but worth it (2 hours). Between coats you can cast more which I did. I picked one and gave it the 'hammer test' twice and it passed fine with no rupturing of the coating. Next test is the range and see how my barrel fares. If members are interested I will post images of what you need and what it cost.

Regards

Always post images!

Comment

• GD308
      GD308 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by chewtah" post=34290
      Always post images!
      Spot on.....

Thanks for the replies. I will take some images of the set-up and the cost. Trust me it doesn't cost much, Advantageous if you have access or are near an automotive sprayer. To let you research, I give a hat tip to weiderladertv on youtube. I followed his method but with my own 'receeeeep' (his terminology) i.e. recipe. Was never going to use the lub. method I would have rather have just bought the projectiles.

Regards

Comment

Image to show raw cast, then coated, then 'hammered' then finished. The two after are store bought projectile and then finished.
      Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Mate they look blue on my screen, is that right? If so ,where did you get it? They look good.

Thanks sigman, yes they are blue but not the blue I'm after, This is a Mercedes blue. I'm still experimenting.Long way to go but if I get enough interest I'll post images of:

Basic equipment needed.
      Recipe (mine not weiderladertv) but not much different.
      Drying table / oven.
      I'll probably go to the range tomorrow or Wednesday, I've got to nail a metalic target, recover and inspect. Smacking with a hammer is part 1, metalic target is part 2 and barrel inspection after say 100 rounds is part 3.

Lastly colour is anything you want it to be. See your local automotive spray guy.

Regards

Comment

• Spurious
        Spurious commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm still experimenting.Long way to go but if I get enough interest I'll post images
        Interested.

Just in.....image of the box
      Attached Files

Comment

I Havnt seen the utube vid, is it a baked enamel, 2pac ? If so do you have to etch prime and colour, do you spray it or tumble?

Comment

It's 2pac and all you need is a painters bucket to tumble. Did about 400-450 this afternoon (coat #1) will finish tomorrow.
          Going to try to add a few thumbnails, We'll see how it goes.

Just bucket, paint, hardener,something to stir with. The bin and tube of goo is for lubing,

Old bbq I had and stripped then 15 bucks of fine mesh applied
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor84" post=34287
            Hoping this is the right area. Being a newbie I'm sure this has been discussed before. Made my first batch of 120 coated projectiles yesterday. Rather time consuming but worth it (2 hours). Between coats you can cast more which I did. I picked one and gave it the 'hammer test' twice and it passed fine with no rupturing of the coating. Next test is the range and see how my barrel fares. If members are interested I will post images of what you need and what it cost.

Regards
            I would like to find out your process as well.
            45-70 Government. The only Government I trust........................Period.

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

Comment

Ok, update for those still hanging in. Made a batch of 550 coloureds today. Took 5 hours because I was on my own. If you have a buddy with you it would drop the time significantly. Loading the oven tray is a big time chewer, Also if you have 2 of the little ovens (they hold on average 180 projectiles) that would cut down time as well.
              The whole deal was from start to finish;
              Raw unsized projies
              One coat then cool for 45 minutes (30 mins if fan assisted like I do).
              Bake for 25 mins then apply 2nd coat and cool (as above).
              The lub and size.
              Pre-requisites ( if you're inclined)
              1) Six cigarettes available
              2) 8 beers available
              and
              c) Rolling Stones greatest hits (double album) available.

You are good to go.

p.s. will upload images when my wife gets in (new camera and I'm not au fait at the moment)

pps One last thing definately going to the range tomorrow I want my buddy and mentor , let's call him Phil (state champion, club champion, discipline champion all round great bloke....etc....ad infinitum), to try my first batch.

Regards

Comment

good night the fox..................to this topic.

Comment

• glock40sw
                  glock40sw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  seems like a lot of pissing around compared to the hi-tek coating which is easy to use.

Have you tried HITEK? Shake and Bake. Any colour would be nice but HITEK is easier and designed for the job.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok, last post on this topic for Sigman, Hoppy and Glock40sw. I wanted to do something other than HI-Tek. So far it has cost $20 (for a bucket and mesh everthing else I had laying around) to do 650 projectiles and I have access to all the 2pac, hardener and epoxy thinners I want. So the only cost in the future is electricty. As I said in a previous post I follow Weiderlardertv (on youtube) method.
                  A view of Hi-Tek on youtube shows it is the same methodology. The lub I mention is a microscopic amount per 500 projectiles of a breathing air equipment lubricant I have. I use it when sizing to prevent any build up in the sizing die. I will post the image again so you can see there is no residual. lub.
                  Lastly as for 'pissing' around I have plenty of time. I'm retired.

Regards
                  Attached Files

Comment

• glock40sw
                    glock40sw commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh well.. Whatever floats your boat...

Mate I wasn't having a go at you, I just didn't know if you knew of HITEK. Have you had a chance to test them yet? If so how was accuracy and leading?

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sigman, Went to the range this morning and put maybe a hundred down. Was coaching my wife and using other coated (store bought) rounds as well.
                    There was no difference in accuracy (mine) only a slight odour from the 2pac. Both barrels are good (wife has a 38 super as well). I tried cutting my cure time by half ( to 10 minutes) but some of the projectiles had little 'bald' spots. So my next batch will be cooked at 12 minutes. I just want to speed up the process but keep a degree of quality finish.
                    Apologies if I read into your reply something that wasn't there. This is worth persuing only if you have the time, I believe Hi-Tek costs about $68.00 per litre. A litre would last an eternity. So would be advantageous to those who are time limited.

Regards
                Working...
                X