Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimped Primer Pocket-Hornady

Hey guys.
    Had a bit of a rocky start to reloading..lol. First was a stuck case on resize number 2 (not enough lube), then me struggling to set up the die correctly

New problem is... i just prepped 50 hornady once fired brass (.30. They came up great in the end. Only problem is now i know what crimped primer brass is and how primers dont like to seat into them

Just did a quick search. Came up with swagers and reamers. What is the best/cheaper method for removing the crimp? Or am i best to chuck my nice, prepped brass that took me ages to achieve..haha

Any guidence would be great. Anyone else come up against hornady crimped brass?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0837.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	45778

No need to chuck it just give give it a light turn with your neck chamfer tool until the crimp is gone

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Y-T" post=33131
      No need to chuck it just give give it a light turn with your neck chamfer tool until the crimp is gone
      Cheers Whitey

Yep I stuffed up a couple of cases too.
    Easy fix : get a star point tool like for a teck screw / Phillips head that definitely won`t fit in the primer pocket.
    Grind the point off it till it just fits in the start of the primer pocket and then add a very light almost zero angle grind to the font edges of the tool .
    You can even have almost zero rake on the leading edges of it and then you chuck it in your little hand power drill and just push the shells up against it while it spins the crimp out.
    Go easy on the pressure and you won`t have a sore hand or thumb from doing the job.
    Once I get some more time I will make tools to do this stuff from old small dead hand drills chucks already threaded just need to be fitted to a sewing machine motor --foot pedal controls and all -- beat the crap out of drills with batteries and all that charging and stuff.
    Cant afford a lathe so it will do those jobs
    [center]
    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Great, thanks for the feedback guys. Im going to go buy some brass anyway to get up and running. Will buy a pocket reamer and use all the hornady brass for a different load later on. Will have around 140 of them so dont want to waste it.

Cheers again

Pete

Comment

Working...
      X