Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reisizing..urgent help needed

Bit of a problem i need some help with.

Trying to resize my 308 brass (first time resizing for me). I wanted to bump the shoulder back only .002". Well the die is actually changing the angle of the shoulder and increasing the length? This is a hornady FL die as seen in the photo. Iam using the hornady case headspace gauge.

This is the fire formed case prior to resizing.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0834.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	45708

This is the resized case?? Increased in length

Name:	IMG_0833.JPG
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	45707

Side by Side. Resized case on left. You can see how the shoulder has changed compared to the fireformed case on the right.

Name:	IMG_0835.JPG
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	45709

And the Die it self. Clearly marked .308

Name:	IMG_0836.JPG
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	45710

What am i doing wrong? or is the die incorrectly marked? I resized without the expander also, so that is not the problem. And the resized case does not chamber with a closed bolt.

Thanks Pete

Hello!
    Try winding the die DOWN a bit further and see what happens.

Pilch303
    Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Pilch303" post=33040
      Hello!
      Try winding the die DOWN a bit further and see what happens.

Pilch303
      yep as pilch said you need to wind the die down a bit more - the case actually grows longer as you size the body, then it gets bumped down and shortens up as the shoulder contacts the top of the die - the neck then gets a bit longer (you can colour in the case shoulder with an artline or some other permanent marker to see if the case shoulder is making contact or not)

Maybe the outside neck lubrication is no good . This is why we invented body dies to do away with these issues .

Comment

Hey guys. All was sorted form the top suggestions. I just needed to wind the die down further than hornady suggested, i was unsure so asked and got them answer. Im getting my case shoulders bumped how i want them now and all is good.

Cheers again
      Pete

Comment

Working...
      X