Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaning Formula

Hi Fellas, i was just wondering what home made ultrasonic cleaning formulas everyone is using? Cheers Scott

Think you will find the most common one is 50% water & vinegar, few drops of sink detergent.
    I had used that method for a fair while till I tried Birchwood casey's case cleaner.
    Its awesome IMO but costs like $20 a bottle($7 in the USA but they wont send it over via mail!).
    Im actually looking for a substitute for a DIY version of casey's, its active ingredient is citric acid so thats what I am going to base mine on, just need to find a source now!!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I use very warm water & white vinegar (50/50 mix) and a good squirt of run-of-the-mill dishwashing detergent.

Someone also suggested I add some bi carb soda, I tried that but it really didn't make any noticeable difference.

Originally posted by Aushunter" post=32494
      Think you will find the most common one is 50% water & vinegar, few drops of sink detergent.
      I had used that method for a fair while till I tried Birchwood casey's case cleaner.
      Its awesome IMO but costs like $20 a bottle($7 in the USA but they wont send it over via mail!).
      Im actually looking for a substitute for a DIY version of casey's, its active ingredient is citric acid so thats what I am going to base mine on, just need to find a source now!!
      Hey Aus you should be able to find citric acid at most supermarkets. Have a look through the isle that has baking ingredients, that's usually where they keep it. I might give it a run too, haven't tried that yet.

You can buy citric at the supermarket in small tubs but it is dear as poison. Go to a home wine making shop and they will have half kilo bags for generally under 10 bucks.
    http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/MYPFQKLF%20adjuncts-and-chemicals/8CITRIC%20ACID%201KG
    12 bucks a kilo actually

Comment

Citric acid in Orange juice . Lemon and limes have the highest content of citric acid

Comment

A dribble of dish washing liquid and half a teaspoon of either citric acid or cream of tartar in warm/hot water.
        I settled on cream of tartar as it leaves it clean without tarnishing.
        Don't leave in water for too long after cleaning as tarnishing occurs even after rinsing.
        Air dry or put on tray in oven for ten minutes if needed that day.
        Plenty of different recipes, I think hot water helps the most.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies Fellas. I,ll give them a try. At the moment i,ve been tumbling my brass then risizing,knocking the primers out and chamfering. Then i ultrasonic clean the brass and rinse under hot water.I then put them on some paper towel on an oven tray in the fan forced oven at about 120c for 30 minutes. Cheers Scott

Comment

• jasmay
            jasmay commented
            Editing a comment
            I dont understand why people use the home recipes, I started thsi way thinkign it was best/cheaper/easier but its not.

The hoem stuff costs about $1 a litre I worked out, then, if you use vinegar, there is the added issue of trying to neutrilze it after with baking soda or similar, then drying it without water marks.

I just use the Hornady oneshot now, rinse in hot water, dry with a hairdryer and walla..... Simple, easy, 1 bottle in the cupbaord as opposed to many, and does nto require neutrialzing after.

That all happens when I clean, which is not always these days.... Its overated, and does not improve accuracy.

I've tried a few different home made versions as well, and have to agree the Hornady One Shot is the best so far

Comment

• zippyz
            zippyz commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure the ready made solutions are great but who wants to spend $20-$35 on it?

Started with citric acid, worked well. Moved onto cream of tartar, worked even better. Currently on tartaric acid, best so far. I'll see where I end up next month... maybe horse urine? :lol:

Comment

• sirus17
            sirus17 commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by EchoEcho" post=32752
            Started with citric acid, worked well. Moved onto cream of tartar, worked even better. Currently on tartaric acid, best so far. I'll see where I end up next month... maybe horse urine? :lol:
            hahaha, well i did wonder about tartaric acid, but i settled on cream of tartar hot water and a good dash of dish washing liquid

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I picked up a small container of citric acid from the supermarket some months ago & put it in the cupboard & forgot about it till yesterday when I was cleaning some cases in the U/S.

WOW, this stuff is by far the best cleaner I have used so far!!!

It craps all the Birchwood casey case cleaner(with was nearly $20 a bottle), craps all over the 50/50 vinegar/water method as well.

This is now my formula I will be going with-
            300ml hot water
            1.5 teaspoon citric acid
            4 or 5 drops dish washing liquid
            4X3 minute cycles

This is for a small jewelry type cleaner that only holds about 40 cases at a time!

While Im always open to new formula's I dont really see the need to go any furhter as the way this works you dont need the brass any better IMO.

• Chrispy
            Chrispy commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a horse, how much urine do you want? I will charge whatever the current fuel price is per litre!!

Chrispy

Using Hornady 10 mins with somewhat clean brass, 15 mins with the dirtiest. Had some Norma 30-06 and 32-20 about 35 years old and reloaded who knows how many times and was filthy. 15 mins and clean. Tumbler will make it shine more though, but I haven't got one. After rinsing I put shells in the sun on tea towel for a while then bring in and blow with compressor then put on bench in open container for later.
          “Dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others lying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.”

Comment

Working...
          X