Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factroy crimp die

Hey guys.

Just did my first lot of 9mm for my Glock 17 last weekend. They were slightly too long. This means I will not be able to crimp into the bullet groove and will have to crimp on the body of the bullet.

I am worried about stoppages, so I am thinking I should get a factory crimp die. From what I have read this will help. Does anyone use one of these for reloading the 9mm, and are they neccesary?

Thanks again.

Patriot - The Lee Factory Crimp Die for 9 mm ensures your rounds are straight and round after you insert the projectile. This removes case bulges and will apply a crimp if you want, as it's adjustable. All 9 mm barrels headspace on the case mouth, so it's important to not apply much crimp. Just a very slight taper crimp is all that's needed, which is really just ensuring the case flare is removed. I've done about 15,000 9 mm rounds since installing the Lee FCD and every one now passes a gauge check. Before, just relying on the bullet seating die only, I'd get 5 to 10% rejects in a gauge check, although my 9 mm barrels are not quite as fussy.

Roll crimping of pistol rounds, into the bullet groove, is something that is only usually done in heavy recoiling revolvers or tube magazine rifles, which use rimmed type cases. Rimless cases (like 9 mm) in magazine fed pistols don't require a roll crimp.

Regards
    Paul D

Comment

Thanks Paul.

Your post was very insightful. I had thought that roll crimps were neccesary, based on assumption mostly. Was concerned about the case neck snagging whilst feeding.

You've just solved a whole bunch of questions mate

One more; When you talk about a guage check, what type of guage would this be? I've only been reloading for 12 months or so, alot to learn!

Many thanks,
      Patriot.

Comment

• GLeslie8
        GLeslie8 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Patriot" post=32275
        Thanks Paul.

Your post was very insightful. I had thought that roll crimps were neccesary, based on assumption mostly. Was concerned about the case neck snagging whilst feeding.

You've just solved a whole bunch of questions mate

One more; When you talk about a guage check, what type of guage would this be? I've only been reloading for 12 months or so, alot to learn!

Many thanks,
        Patriot.
        A drop in case gauge which mimics a minimum dimension chamber, such as made by Dillon, (see link below), also made by Wilson and others.

Dillon case drop gauge

You'll want the bullet out as long as possible, I make a dummy round up first and drop it in the barrel, muzzle pointed at the floor, if it drops in without any pressure other than gravity all sweet. As for crimp, you want to use as little as possible. I only use enough crimp to get rid of the flare and then just a bit. I prefer to chamfer the case mouth than crimp. It's a bit of trial and error, make sure you measure and write everything down, go to the range and try them out.

Comment

Working...
      X