Cost difference to load 223 _/_ 308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost difference to load 223 _/_ 308

After some help in what would be to cost difference to load 223 for F class compared to 308 in F standard I know that the 308 will be better at long range for the wind but I like to see how I would go with the 223 E.G. powder / type and projectile weight etc I have never priced 308 gear
    This isn't rocket science guys ... it's more complicated than that, and it has aspects of the Dark Arts, And this smokeless stuff will not last

The .223 will be the cheapest ( less powder = more reload's ) Pill's pending on what your going to use will also be cheaper then the .308

My reload's for my .223 and .308 are pretty cheap. But .223 is the cheapest ( Not by much )

Comment

Originally posted by roy cobb" post=31685
      After some help in what would be to cost difference to load 223 for F class compared to 308 in F standard I know that the 308 will be better at long range for the wind but I like to see how I would go with the 223 E.G. powder / type and projectile weight etc I have never priced 308 gear
      I will take a stab, considering you have not given us any left and right of arc, approximately twice as much to load 308, compared to 223, obviously, dependant on choice of components.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Calculate it out.
        Work on price of each component & you will get the answer.
        Powder weight can be worked out easily by looking at the mid range powder load for each & the cost per container.
        Note that there are 15.4323584 grains to a gram!
        Projectile $
        Case $
        Primer $
        done.

Comment

one thing to consider is brass, a few years back lapua .308 brass was $10/100 cheaper than lapua .223 brass. not sure if it's still the same but over 20 reloads it's probably bugger all anyway

also when i had a .223 i used BM2 which was only available in 500gr bottles making it more expensive per grain than a 4kg bottle of 2208 or 2209 for a .308

steve

Comment

Using match projectiles for both, my approximate costs per shot are.
            .308 .68 cents
            .223 .52 cents
            Not allowing for brass.

Comment

• roy cobb
              roy cobb commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for that it will help with a decision I have to make

• GD308
              GD308 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think my sums are correct here for my loads (.223),
              80 gr Nosler CC 34c each.
              Federal primer 6c each.
              23.5gr of 2208 16c per load.
              56c per match quality round. (Gets a little dearer with 80gr SMK)

here you go ...

http://alicespringspistolclub.com.au/metric.html

Comment

Working...
            X