Resizing new Brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resizing new Brass

Do you need to resize new brass? I never have and I haven't had any problems, what are people's thoughts on this...

not normally.
    usually i just load and shoot.
    never had a problem.
    in standard cartridges anyway.
    when in doubt, cycle the new empty brass through your gun.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Try a couple in your chamber first, if they fit no probs.

I always chamfer the neck first time round cos they are usually sharp and scratch the projy.

Usually neck size and chamfer if they warrant it after inspection.
    This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

I will always seek consistency with brass and so I would f/l size, trim necks to the shortest length or .010" under max, chamfer necks, uniform primer pockets and deburr flash holes. it takes time but it's worth doing imho

steve

Comment

IMO you have to do some sort of sizing(neck or FL) otherwise how would you know what neck tension you will get??
        I know you are just going to fire form the case but still if at least you neck size you can at least know for the next load during load development that part of the equation is the same!
        Being able to chamber is another thing but new cases should meet SAAMI specs.
        I even re neck size new Lapua brass so from the onset!

Comment

I used to always check the cases, and they nearly always had several with case mouths out of round. If I have to size one case, then for consistency I size the lot. I don't even check any more, just neck size, trim (if needed) and chamfer. I personally don't bother with primer pocket/flash hole work, but I'm not a target shooter.
          If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

Comment

• Yoshie
            Yoshie commented
            Editing a comment
            I do, but it's more to round the case mouth, I always chamfer the inside and outside as well that's more important.

Yep. Size trim chamfer. Keep it all uniform.
          Last lot of new brass I got was pretty beat up and sizing was a must with that lot.

Comment

I don't really see the point. Unless it's clearly out of shape (in which case I'd be more tempted to return it) or it doesn't fit your chamber (in which case it's outside spec and I'd be tempted to return it), the first time you fire it will be fireforming it to your chamber. That being the case, it's never going to behave that way again, so any performance results are going to be skewed.

Unless you intend to FL resize every time, in which case do it the first time as well, you're left with 2 options:
            If you're not bothered about a bit of inaccuracy, don't waste your time , as long as it holds the projectile, shoot it.
            If you ARE bothered about a bit of inaccuracy, there's no point doing anything because the brass will never repeat that way again.

Taken to the extreme, it's like buying 6mmbr and turning it into brx or dasher. You have to shoot it to make it fit.

I'm not attempting to hijack the thread but that's my argument why not to bother. I would, however, be very interested in any ideas that counter that logic because I'm using it to run in a 6.5x284 over Christmas.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              I would agree with not resizing new brass, but I was just reading the ABC's of reloading and it states that Full-Length Resizing, this step is just as necessary for new cases as for fired ones. If these will later be used in only one rifle, further resizing can be limited to neck-sizing only, unless heavy loads are used. Page 102... I'm putting it down to what accuracy and consistency you want to get from your rifle each time you shoot..

As others have said the very least you should neck size and chamfer inside and out. Necks are rarely consistent in their concentricity
            You may even damage case necks if you don't do this especially with flat based projectiles.

Comment

I don't bother as I use high grade brass that comes in nice boxes.
              but if you buy cheap brass that comes in bags, then during handling/transport some cases can get minor defects in them.
              just sayin'.

Comment

Working...
              X