N330 for 38 Super

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N330 for 38 Super

A question for the brains trust out there. I am just starting to learn, Reading Uncle Nick's bible and picking my first bits and pieces

Does anyone use N300 for 38 Super? I am starting to get everything together and haven't been able to get my hands on AP-70, but can get N330

ADI lists it as an equivalent and the Lapua load data is the same for a 125GN RN proj

Uncle Nick : 4.9 to 5.9 Gns
    Lapua : 4.9 to 5.8

Or should I just wait until I can find some AP70 or Unique ???

Random - AP70 will be hard to get until early in 2014, according to ADI. Unique is also hard to find lately. I can't speak for N300/330, but I find the next best is AP50.
    4.3 Gns of AP50 drives a 125 Gn coated lead projectile at close to 1100 fps (out of an STI Edge) for an IPSC power factor of 138-140.
    Almost exactly the same result as using 4.9 Gn of Unique, except the AP50 is less "snappy", softer on the hands.

Regards
    Paul D

Comment

Originally posted by Random" post=31341
      A question for the brains trust out there. I am just starting to learn, Reading Uncle Nick's bible and picking my first bits and pieces

Does anyone use N300 for 38 Super? I am starting to get everything together and haven't been able to get my hands on AP-70, but can get N330

ADI lists it as an equivalent and the Lapua load data is the same for a 125GN RN proj

Uncle Nick : 4.9 to 5.9 Gns
      Lapua : 4.9 to 5.8

Or should I just wait until I can find some AP70 or Unique ???
      There is plenty of AP50 on the market, and this powder is great for .38 super, but I also prefer AP70. AS already stated AP 70 in new year.
      Try AP50, using the 125 Grn conical or round nose, I and most use the conical, both great in STI using AP50 I would use 3.9grns, using a light
      9lb spring to make minor power factor, usually in STI using AP50, 3.9 grns = 130pf.
      When AP70 is available; using 125grn 4.1/4.2 grns will make minor power factor.
      In most production guns, SP01/etc still use the same mix, as above using 3.9grns AP50 or 4.1 AP70.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        As an addendum to my post above I should/must clarify that is I was using AP50 in a standard gun or Production gun I would use a 135grn projectile, this seems to be the most used and 125 grn only by some, I guess try both see what YOU like.
        ALSO, is using 135grn, use AP50 3.6grn in either standard or production guns and then Crono.

In using AP50 with a 125grn projectile, 3.9 is the top of the range for those who like to run their guns hot, 3.6/7 is what I use in my SP01 when I use AP50, using a 125grn projectile, 3.5 grns AP50 with a 135grn projectile, this make power factory.

AP70 is used by some IPSC shooters and AP50 by others, use what you feel is best, both work equally well. ADI is great support your local manufacturers and they make a great powder.

Random

I use N320 in my Para 38S
      People I talk with do the same
      I have had my 1911 trick up some what.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help, lots to learn
        I might look for some AP50 and a lesson from a mate

Comment

Yep what Random said. I use 4.2g AP 50 with 125g projectile. Clean burn and no mess. I use Federal Primers and as someone told me they are going to be in short supply soon I knocked up a batch with CCI (which are somewhat harder) and had no problems.
          The other buzz is that AP50 is going to be in short supply too so grabbed 3kg, also have a stash of 12,000 Federals. Get while you can.
          AP 70 is a slower burner, I have .5kg but only as back stop. Firearm Tanfoglio.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Raptor84" post=31787
            Yep what Random said. I use 4.2g AP 50 with 125g projectile. Clean burn and no mess. I use Federal Primers and as someone told me they are going to be in short supply soon I knocked up a batch with CCI (which are somewhat harder) and had no problems.
            The other buzz is that AP50 is going to be in short supply too so grabbed 3kg, also have a stash of 12,000 Federals. Get while you can.
            AP 70 is a slower burner, I have .5kg but only as back stop. Firearm Tanfoglio.
            I apologise for this post, but if you are using 4.2 of AP50 and a 125 conical projectile you are in your Tanfoglio running at a very high POWER factor, please check with your club chronograph, but from my experience it is WAY to high for minor, possibly over 145, why fight with extra recoil;;;; TRY using 3.6/7 grns AP50 with a 125 conical and OAL around 1;110 and look at the function of your firearm/.....

Oops, what PWD said reload,

Comment

I'm using the minimum AP70 load of 4.5gn with a 135gn pill, is this too much for minor power factor?

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Kevin" post=31797
              I'm using the minimum AP70 load of 4.5gn with a 135gn pill, is this too much for minor power factor?
              Hi Kevin, sorry but yes WWWWWWAY to high, try 4.0 or 4.1 with a 125 or 3.9 or 3.8 with a 135 using AP70, I have no idea what firearm you are using, try what is written and chronograph at your club and ADJUST accordingly/.mmmmm.

Susan, yes the Tan is a .38 super. Go to ADI site to invesigate AP50 and 70 they actually tell you about 70 and it won't be available until further notice.. The details on 50 will be out soon (all to do with Thales and a new goverment contract). There is a limited amount of powder that can be produced (don't ask me why) and given to the public as the majority goes to the armed forces.

Regarding Fed primers the DHS (America) is buying all for political purposes I'm sure you'll understand. So buy now, but test other primers as well. This info is good.

Comment

Thanks Susan!

Comment

Working...
              X