Remington 308 load development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington 308 load development

Today at the range I found some interesting results when trying out some new projectiles. I usually shoot 168 gr match kings with excellent results but I had recently acquired some cheep a max and berger vld's. Both 168 gr. to my surprise both the bergers and hornady a max rounds would not group better than about 2 moa, while the match kings have been a sub moa shooter for the life of the rifle. Originally I thought maybe the rifle is just picky on the rounds it likes. Or could it just be that I need to run an few more of them through before they might group tighter? Am I giving up too soon on the a max and bergers? Thoughts?

IMO, nope stick with the SMK's can't go wrong

Comment

you don't say what kind of load you used with the new bullets

both the amax and berger's are secant ogive bullets (or VLD) and will have a different bearing surface length to the SMK. they are both excellent bullets but will not shoot the same as the SMK if they are the same weight and are loaded over the same load to the same length.

more development would be required if you want them to shoot, you need to decide if the cost saving is worth the cost of load development

steve

PS have a read of this article on seating lengths for VLD bullets
      http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/03/berger-tips-for-loading-vld-bullets/

Comment

168 amax with 45 grains of 2208 and federal match primers has worked a treat for me. can't say why you're getting such bad results.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=31288
          168 amax with 45 grains of 2208 and federal match primers has worked a treat for me. can't say why you're getting such bad results.
          Jumped or jammed? I think seating depth will be the op' problem with these bullets

Steve

When I do load development I change bullet seating depth, powder, charge weight, neck tension, primers, and cases before I settle on a load. Then I might change bullet weight and try all the variables again. I don't just change bullet and say this bullet is no good in my gun,

Comment

Stick with the smk's unless your prepared for a full ladder test from scratch. Imho i stick to sierra match and hunting bullets
          , i dont try to get 1/4 " groups and i use factory oal's. Fuss free ammo that works and does the job. I clean my barrels when accuracy drops off (500-600 approx). I know others might dissagree but i spend more time shooting than mucking around with benchrest accuracy. A rabbit a fox a goat a pig a deer a feral cat etc will never know the difference!

Comment

• jasmay
            jasmay commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by xbrute" post=31335
            Stick with the smk's unless your prepared for a full ladder test from scratch. Imho i stick to sierra match and hunting bullets
            , i dont try to get 1/4 " groups and i use factory oal's. Fuss free ammo that works and does the job. I clean my barrels when accuracy drops off (500-600 approx). I know others might dissagree but i spend more time shooting than mucking around with benchrest accuracy. A rabbit a fox a goat a pig a deer a feral cat etc will never know the difference!
            It all depends on the level of accuracy and ranges being shot, what works for some may not for others, don't be discouraged, learning load development techniques is a step to improving your overall ability, when you understand the finer concepts you can also start to diagnose faults when things start to go wrong.

Getting a load working well is a long shot off bench rest accuracy, and 1/4"-1/2" MOA is achievable quite easy with most rifles.

Remember, an accurate rifle increases your confidence and thus your hit %

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by xbrute" post=31335
            Given that the op is using an f class approved target bullet and not a hunting bullet I assumed he is target shooting and chances are a 1moa load will not satisfy him, particularly if his old SMK load shoots sub moa and he wants to use the cheaper VLD's or amax.

IMHO the sierra bullets are over priced, prices inflated in Australia by their previous grip on Fullbore rifle approval. I believe the nosler CC range is as good and half the price but that's a discussion for a other thread.

Steve

Thank you all very much for the info and speedy replys I had not realised seating depth could play such a big part. What I am doing at the moment is seating the rounds at mag length (2.80 inches). While I still have around 100 bergers and a max left I will play around a bit and seat them closer to the lands, see how I go. But otherwise I guess I will just stick with the smks. The main reason I gave the bergers a go was because I was told they handle the transonic phase Better and will allow me to push past the 800m mark where my smks start to keyhole.

Comment

interesting, My 155SMK's aren't key holing at 1650 yards

Comment

Working...
            X