Small rifle primers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small rifle primers

I am after some advice regarding primers to suit a .223, I have developed a load using Remington 7 1/2 primers which have worked well until recently. There have been a few duds from the last batch, even after showing good strikes and tried a second time. I loaded some more using CCI400 primers, and being thinner and borderline for .223, a few have pierced. I am undecided whether to wait out the batch of remingtons and continue using them, or find an alternative. It's a bit of a drive to the nearest gun shop, so I will probably buy 1000 when I decide. Federal match grade seem to be the goods and have worked well in the .308. I am sure there are some F class shooters and bench rest shooters who have done the ground work, your experience would be appreciated. NBT

Originally posted by Needbiggertargets" post=28015
    I am after some advice regarding primers to suit a .223, I have developed a load using Remington 7 1/2 primers which have worked well until recently. There have been a few duds from the last batch, even after showing good strikes and tried a second time. I loaded some more using CCI400 primers, and being thinner and borderline for .223, a few have pierced. I am undecided whether to wait out the batch of remingtons and continue using them, or find an alternative. It's a bit of a drive to the nearest gun shop, so I will probably buy 1000 when I decide. Federal match grade seem to be the goods and have worked well in the .308. I am sure there are some F class shooters and bench rest shooters who have done the ground work, your experience would be appreciated. NBT
    Duds? How are you storing and handling your primers?

CCI will be stronger than Federal, as a general rule.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

• Pitty
      Pitty commented
      Editing a comment
      Im using rem primers in my .222, touch wood no problems!

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      CCI 400 Thickness about 20 thou, most others about 25 thou. CCI450 are thicker but are a magnum primer and can increase pressures.NBT

• Shini
      Shini commented
      Editing a comment
      I've had good luck with the Federal Gold Medal small rifle primers and I've had no issues at all with the 600 I've used so far. My .223 is a range gun so I use a pretty tame load of AR 2208 with 75 gn A-maxs and I've has no issues at all. I get compressed load long before even slight primer flattening.

FWIW I have had a bad batch of Remington LR primers. Tried in two different rifles of different calibres. Just a bad batch I guess, swapped them for some CCI's never had a problem.

Comment

Working...
    X