reloading the process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reloading the process

Strange I am about halfway through layman's reloading, (although I still have the ABC's to read) and well I just thought there was more to it than this. There must be sticky bits that are hard to do. Can anybody think of a part of the reloading process that is not in fact as easy as the books make it seem?
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

none of the reloading processes are difficult,

every part of the reloading process is difficult to do perfectly every case, every primer, every powder charge and every bullet. and guess what? that's whats required if you want every shot to go in the same place.

When i started reloading i started with a lee press, a second hand press, powder thrower and an ADI manual. I was shooting a .223 at the time and had about 6 months shooting experience but i was shooting every saturday at 100m standing, 200m sitting or 300m prone. truth was than any decent loads were good enough to hit a 5" bull at those distances but the score came from my skill which grew with experience.

For those .223 loads a tumbled cases, neck sized and decapped then primed and threw approx 22.3gr of BM2 directly into the case and seated a 69gr Nosler CC to fit in the magazine, i never even measured COAL. those loads were good for 1/2 moa on average, i shot some groups around .3 but couldn't do it every time so i bought better scales, weighed every charge, F/L sized every case got more serious about case prep and seating and tried harder. to make every loaded round closer to the one before.

I now know the .3moa groups were as close to the perfect load for that rifle as i could do at the time, after all it was a factory rifle with a 3lb trigger. but the important thing was i was learning, still am

The real skill in reloading is knowing where to start on a new load, what to try when it doesn't work, where to go when a load won't group or what to double and triple check when a load that should be well under max shows signs of pressure.

play safe, take it slow and use your desire to get it right every time as motivation not to take short cuts or scrimp in equipment, if you want to do it right, do it right the first time

steve

Comment

There is nothing difficult about reloading, its all about the setup, the better and more accurately you can set up your press and dies the better ammo will ne spat out.

That and case prep.

It's all straight forward.
      All you are doing is pushing brass into a strangely shaped steel tube.

Comment

• Yoshie
        Yoshie commented
        Editing a comment
        It's fairly easy, not much to it. Follow all the steps and you can make some good ammo. The process gets a bit more complicated when you start chasing accuracy, and can be quite involved.

So its in the repetition and accuracy of your work. Its in the details. well that is good to know. You can learn repetition and accuracy. I am now glad I will start learning on hand gun rounds and only start working on rifle rounds after some time. Not because it is any easier to load a hand gun round but because I will expect less out of them then say a 308 round. I won't get a rifle for some time due to monetary expense (the thing that stops me from doing so much). Thank you for the frank comments. and thank you for sharing.

nobody expects a .3 or sub MOA group out of a 357 mag even if its out of 18.5 inch of barrel.
      "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

• PWD
        PWD commented
        Editing a comment
        Laflamme - reloading is therapeutic, I'd rather reload than watch TV. The main thing you need to work on is your attention to detail and don't let the repetition lull you into inattention. You definitely need a good reloading reference library. The Reloading handbooks by Lyman and Lee are both excellent, and there are others too. Those books will run you through all of the techniques for the different types of rounds. Starting with pistol rounds is good as they are simpler shapes (most of them), run at lower pressures and don't require as many steps to get accuracy as with rifle rounds. As the other posters here have mentioned, it's not difficult to do you just need good equipment and a good attention to detail. And a voracious appetite for reading about reloading. You learn something valuable from every reloading book.

Regards
        Paul D

thankyou for all the good responses.

Comment

Working...
      X