reloading for the 44/40 with trailboss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reloading for the 44/40 with trailboss

I would like to know peoples experiences using trailboss in the 44/40 Winchester.
    I have used 6.5grns behind a HRBC 200grn .427" projectile and they seem week as water out of my '92 lever(1050fps). Can this load be hotted up a bit? It seemed to shoot ok but I want to use it for a bit of hunting and would like about 1250fps. I have read on other forums that so long as the powder isn't compressed you can run the shell full of trailboss.............has anybody had experience with this?

Cheers, Pilch303
    Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

I will say first off that I do not shoot 44/40.
    From using Trail Boss in 30/30 and 35 whelen and 308 however I will say that Trail Boss does best for what it was designed for - low to moderate velocity, short range work, people look down on Trail Boss but like yourself I think it is really useful for these light loads. It is a very fast burning pistol powder and pressure increases quickly as load density increases. That is not to say you can't use a case full in the 44/40 - again I am talking about the limitations of my experience in bottle neck cases.
    Are you shooting an original Winchester or a reproduction?

This is a great thread from the Paco Kelly forum (for 45/70 not 44/40) however it does demonstrate a pressure curve for Trail Boss which is interesting in the peak it gets to compared to BP:
    http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27410

The ADI free pdf suggests AR2205 to get to 1450
    fps with the 200grain - this will likely have less pressure although unfortunately it is not listed in their data.
    Perhaps someone else will chime in with real 44/40 experience.

Comment

• Pilch303
      Pilch303 commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you shooting an original Winchester or a reproduction?

Yep, it is an original

Yeah trailboss is weak as for full loads use ar2205 I use 18grs behind a 200gn lead projie and they arent to bad and you could probably load them up a bit more in the 92 action. It is very dirty tho it leaves lots of unburnt kernels in the barrel. For moderate loads I'm going to be trying unique as I've got a couple of kilos of it.

Comment

hi I have loaded 8.5 gr of trail boss behind 240gr black hawks in my 44/40
      I have loaded 9 gr of trail boss behind 230gr black hawks in my 44/40
      the western action boys got me on to as-30n I use 6.5 gr with 240gr black hawks
      I tried 9grs of as-50n with the 240gr b/h
      all the above came about because I was using ar2205 and I was getting to much unburnt powder

Comment

• Pilch303
        Pilch303 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by pisco" post=25625
        hi I have loaded 8.5 gr of trail boss behind 240gr black hawks in my 44/40
        I have loaded 9 gr of trail boss behind 230gr black hawks in my 44/40
        the western action boys got me on to as-30n I use 6.5 gr with 240gr black hawks
        I tried 9grs of as-50n with the 240gr b/h
        all the above came about because I was using ar2205 and I was getting to much unburnt powder
        Hello Pisco!
        Thanks for that!
        Did you like using the trailboss?
        I have also found that using 2205 gives you a action full of rubbish!
        Pilch303

I have no problems using trail boss I use it in the 32-20 ,38-40,they work good its a bit doey in the 303 seems all right in the 577-450.
      as-30n has a bit more punch in the 44-40 but I am only shooting targets I don't use these cartridges for hunting

Comment

Working...
      X