Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5x55 Load data for a M96 Swedish Mauser

Gday,
    Interested in hearing what loads you are using for your 6.5x55 in particular in the M96.

Thanks in advance,

Oddball

Originally posted by Oddball" post=24497
    Gday,
    Interested in hearing what loads you are using for your 6.5x55 in particular in the M96.

Thanks in advance,

Oddball
    Hey mate. i currently load the following

40gr 2209 with 140gr nosler custom comp BTHP. i still need to fine tune it though.

Cheers,

Nuzo

Comment

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't loaded a round for over ten years but I do recall using 2209 and both 110 gn HPs and 129 soft points, both were a devastating round. I can't recall how much powder though, I know it was a lot for the old girl and used to stretch cases like a mongrel. The 129s were the most accurate from memory.

• findlay13
      findlay13 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've shot the 6.5 for many years now.I use 44 grs of 2209 with 140gr pills and 46 gr of 2209 with 120gr pills.
      BUT and this is a big BUT I use those loads in modern SAKO and TIKKA actions.The ADI load book that I have, lists those loads,but the 96 and 38 Swedes are getting on a bit, and although they're great well built strong actions and should have no trouble with those loads.I'd start off under that and work up
      I never had any problem with those loads when I used a 96 and 38 but that was a LONG time ago.so start careful.
      P.S.I love the old swedes and should be horsewhipped for getting rid of mine.

Thanks for the replies so far. Points noted especially modern actions v the venerable M96.

It's been a while since I loaded for the swede and my preference is for AR2208, due to the other cals I load for.....

Without tracking down my notes 39-40 gns AR2208 over a 120gn Nosler BTip or 120gn Taipan HP, sounds about right.

I have a couple of hundred of the Taipans left, so 120gn is my "preferred" weight, however I may go as far as 139-140gn down the track ( I think I have about half a box of Speer SP left).

I don't need this rifle to be the perfect load rifle, for every beastie, but as a nice Goat rifle, with capability of handling a Pig, Fox or Cat effectively as well.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

• Send-it
      Send-it commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Oddball" post=24525
      I don't need this rifle to be the perfect load rifle, for every beastie, but as a nice Goat rifle, with capability of handling a Pig, Fox or Cat effectively as well;
      in that case,.......i'm using 42.5gr of 2208 with a lapua 'scenar' 108gr, which gives me 2950 to 3000fps and 1MOA.
      shoots nice n flat, & blows up enough on cats, yet only just makes it through to the other side of a goat/pig, using all energy inside.
      ferals hate them.
      me on a date with the swede.
      took this pig & goat with this load.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	photo117.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	38496
      Click image for larger version

Name:	goat_2013-11-03.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	38497

I used to use a load of 39gn of 2208 with 120gn NBT but now use 45.5gn of 2209 for the 120 NBT. This is in my Ruger Hawkeye. I have a few hundred 123gn Amax that I will try in a few weeks.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Getting some good info here indeed.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Just a quick query,
        Im soon to have my PTA cleared to pick up a sporter, seems like the 6.5x55 is a ripper of a round for Australia!

There were a few sporters around that had a slightly shorter barrel, can I ask the other members, what is your barrel length???
        Ive only just figured out mine is a few inches less, (the seller mentioned something like 96/38 or something carbin-ish)

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          the M38 is a carbine with a 24" barrel and the M96 has a 29" barrel.

If you are putting a scope on it the M38 would be a better choice for a sporterised hunter.
          The M96 is very long, but in my opinion a far better rifle.

In my M38 Husqvarna I load 42.7gr AR2209, CCI LR Primer, Winchester cases, Nosler cust comp 140gr projectiles. = 2600 fps

Comment

Working...
        X