which powder dispenser for handgun loads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which powder dispenser for handgun loads?

I've just started reloading 9mm rounds. At the moment I'm tapping the powder into the tray of my rcbs electronic scales directly from the bottle. It's a slow process.

I'd like to buy a mechanical powder dispenser, but my early research indicates I need a dispenser designed for handgun loads, due to the small powder charge.

So my question is, what are the handgun reloaders using? What would they use if money wasn't an option?

thanks in advance.

i just use the lee autodisk and throw directly into the case - I check abour 10-20 loads beforehand to be happy that the charge weights are correct then I only weight every 5th or 10th charges after that as a spot check. Ball powders usually meter amazingly accurately - around 0.1grain variation. if you want to make small variations in charge weight I find that carefully sticking a small tab of sticky tape inside the chamber of the autodisk will allow you to make small adjustments

I've also tried throwing charges on my lee perfect powder measure - its also very accurate but after a while the ball powder (being so fine) got into the joint of the thrower and the thrower got jammed up and hard to move unless it was cleaned.

with rifle ammo i am much more anal with my weighing - I want it correct to the nearest kernel (about 0.02gr)

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      You will be lucky to find any handgun shooter that doesn't use a progressive press such as a dillon or Hornady lock n load. They all have their own powder throwers built in.

I use the Dillon on the progressive. I have used a Lyman DPS II in the past.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      lee auto disk is no good to me, as I use a rcbs rockchucker single stage press and don't want to have to buy another one.

I'm after a stand alone powder measure able to make accurate, consistant loads. Prefer a mechanical one, not electronic.
Working...
X