Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Free" Range Brass

Hi All,

I was at Little River last weekend shooting a comp. On returning to the firing line, after resetting the targets, I came across some .223 cases scattered in the grass.

After collecting them all I ended up with nearly 150 once fired Winchester cases. Not a bad score for a couple of minutes work.

It got me thinking, just how many shooters dump their brass? How many shooters head down to the range with an ammo box full of brassy goodness, with absolutely no intention of taking them home afterwards?

Sacrilege to us reloaders I know, but luckily I was able to save them and give them a new home.

Seems like such a waste to me. Do any ranges actively pursue these heathens and ask them to save their unwanted brass and donate it to the range? Or does the RO walk the line after the range is shut and rescue the unwanted?

It wouldn't take much for shooters to place empties in a zip lock bag and drop them in a brass collection bin on the way out.

Anyway, here's a picture of the cases now, full length resized, trimmed to length and tumbled (with a few 7mm-08 thrown in}.

I had a similar experience with 30-06 brass from there, i got well over 400 cases out of that roughly 3 weeks ago. Still collecting some off other guys there too.
    There is literally hundreds of .308 cases in front of the benches near the office.
    Far too many people throw away their brass, although I'm not complaining

Cheers

Comment

waste not want not.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Great score.

I take all the 40cal cases I find from work & the range & resize for 357sig. Cheapest calibre I have ever reloaded for. Never ending supply of free brass.

With living on a rifle range I get heaps of it. ATM I have 2 army space cases full that I need to sort out. Plus a lot of containers as well. Will do this during the wet. I really appreciate the ones who put them all back in the packets. Also get a lot dropped on the door from the coppers and Customs etc.

Regards
      jb

Comment

One bloke at a club up here intentionally purchased a .40S&W and a .357Sig because of all the free brass the local police keep leaving on the pistol range... Once a month on a Wednesday morning (the police shoot Tuesday) he used to run around collecting all the .40 brass... He got to about 5000 pieces over a few months and then was putting them in his cleaning and depriming and then sized some for .357Sig and put them in packets of 100 and was selling them... .357Sig brass isn't cheap apparently, enough so that after 12 months of this he had earned enough to pay for another .357Sig for his collection...
        All thanks to QPOL's wasteful mindset...

One mans trash is another mans treasure...

Comment

I shot at a private shooting range in Ottowa, Canada called the Stittsville Shooting Range.
          We used the 300 yard range to zero our f-class rifles in and when we went down the range to check our targets, we walked the vehicle track that went along side the range.
          It was gravelled the full length of the range(300y) will 9mm brass.
          When shooting off the benches the brass that was left behind by previous shooters was just swept over the front......whether it was loaded or not!
          Some people just don't know how easy they got it!
          Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I leave behind worn out cases that I find, so be careful what you pick up, may not be once fired !

• sn@abrc
            [email protected] commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Pilch303" post=24157
            It was gravelled the full length of the range(300y) will 9mm brass.
            One of our club members has stories of his local range [WW2 England] that had its perimeter track made from dumped .303 clips
            used to chew the tyres to pieces on thier bedford trucks!

stephen

everybody at my local range pick up there brass expert for the rim fire cases

Comment

Rezon, you're probably an experienced reloader, but for new players, make sure that you know what you are picking up. When I was a regular range goer I'd leave my brass at the range after it's final firing when it was past its useful life.
            If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

Comment

• Varmtr
              Varmtr commented
              Editing a comment
              Rezon8 thats a good find. The last time I was at Little River I came across some Sako 22 Hornet brass and after a few minutes of searching I came up with 40 emptys. I had a close inspection and they all look brand new which is great as Sako no longer make Hornet brass.

• Rezon8
              Rezon8 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by RockRanger" post=25437
              Rezon, you're probably an experienced reloader, but for new players, make sure that you know what you are picking up. When I was a regular range goer I'd leave my brass at the range after it's final firing when it was past its useful life.
              I have only been reloading for a couple of years, so I am still learning but yes, you would definitely need to exercise caution if you were new to reloading.

I was certain the brass was once fired, because it still had the original primers. But just to be on the safe side I did ask one of my mentors, who I was shooting with at the time (someone who has been reloading for 50 years), if the brass was ok to use.
          Working...
          X