workup loads for Howa 223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workup loads for Howa 223

I am heading to the range this sunday morning, to put some work up loads through the Howa 223. at 50m to work on some groupings

I"m planning on loading the following charges but was curious to see what OAL other Howa users are running with.
    I am starting with Nossler 50grain but will over the next couple of weeks also do Hornady V-Max 50 & 55
    according to ADI Max charge for the 50grain is 25.7grains and the max charge for the 55grains is 25.3grains

24.2gr ADI Benchmark 8208
    24.4gr
    24.6gr
    24.8gr
    25gr

Thanks,

AJ

Originally posted by ajbeattie77" post=23111
    I am heading to the range this sunday morning, to put some work up loads through the Howa 223. at 50m to work on some groupings

I"m planning on loading the following charges but was curious to see what OAL other Howa users are running with.
    I am starting with Nossler 50grain but will over the next couple of weeks also do Hornady V-Max 50 & 55
    according to ADI Max charge for the 50grain is 25.7grains and the max charge for the 55grains is 25.3grains

24.4gr
    24.6gr
    24.8gr
    25gr

Thanks,

AJ
    Whilst I dont reload with 8208 (but I hear a lot of good about it...), dont get too caught up around the axles with max OAL. If it fits your mag and chamber, thats fine....

Rule of thumb, is generally the load that fills the case, without being compressed, ie minimun air gap, without showing pressure signs, will come close to the best result.

I generally run over a chrono as well, to compare deviation, as well as group size.

Goodluck,

Oddball

Comment

Originally posted by ajbeattie77" post=23111

24.4gr
      24.6gr
      24.8gr
      25gr

Thanks,

AJ
      My howa .223 for 55 grn NBT's ( skippy load ) 24.2 grn of 8208 ( mild load for my rifle ) but you work upto to it. Starting from low towards the listed max.

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        May I ask why 50 yards .... ( 100 is the norm for a varmint caliber like the .224 cals )

50yards is the range I have access to tomorrow (shooting with Field & Rimfire club rather than SSAA)

Comment

Cant help with 223 info but will say it is difficult to determine load accuracy at 50.
        I shot some three shot groups recently at 50 for a 222 and the groups were pretty much one hole just moved around the target a little.
        Some advice for load development at 50, don't shoot large shot groups as they may all measure the same.
        You can still check for pressure signs obviously and velocity if you have access to a chrony.
        I guess a bad group could look like a clover and a good group will be one hole.

Comment

Working...
        X