17 remington fireball loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 remington fireball loads

Gday fellas, new to the forum, noticed there was a few here with the 17 rem fireball.
    Im interested to hear what loads and projectiles others are using,.
    Im loading mine with 25 grns AR2207 pushing a 25 grn hollow point, with good results, have bumped them up a bit to experiment but accuracy seems to be compromised for some reason.
    Im keen to try out other loads and projectiles, so any recommendations would be great.

Cheers......SNOOPY
    A day not hunting is a day lost

Originally posted by SNOOPY" post=22878
    Gday fellas, new to the forum, noticed there was a few here with the 17 rem fireball.
    Im interested to hear what loads and projectiles others are using,.
    Im loading mine with 25 grns AR2207 pushing a 25 grn hollow point, with good results, have bumped them up a bit to experiment but accuracy seems to be compromised for some reason.
    Im keen to try out other loads and projectiles, so any recommendations would be great.

Cheers......SNOOPY
    I'll check my load data when I get back from the farm and post it up for you
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I have a 17 Mach IV. For the 20 gr V-max I use 15.3 gr of AR 2207 for 3800fps. This is a very mild load in the middle of the powder range but produces scary accurate results. For the 25gr HP AND V-max I use Benchmark 2 Sweet spots seem to be at 18.5-18.6 for 3800 fps, ES 23, .200 groups. My other sweet spot with the 25gn bullet is at 19.0 gr for 3900fps ES 50 groups about .300(note this is over book maximum so work up and check for signs of pressure) I find the 25gr h.p. gives better penetration for foxes but has as much drop and wind drift as the 20gr V-Max the 25 gr V-Max is better in the wind at the longer ranges(2-300yds) but is much more fragile. I use Lapua .223 match brass reformed and the CCI 450 and BR4 primers only ( not a fan of the Remington primers due to a bad batch that I once had, a similar problem that happened again about 5 years ago in the USA)

Comment

• SNOOPY
        SNOOPY commented
        Editing a comment
        Gday L579, That's terrific info mate, thanks very much.
        Ive done a fair bit of experimenting on the faster side, trying to get the best out of it, but as I said, I wasn't getting the accuracy. From the info you have given me I will go back a step and slow it down a bit. The V-max was going to be my next choice of projectile, im running them in my 223 with great results with bench mark 2, so will give the same combo a try in the 17. The pic is a group I shot @150m with the load mentioned above. Still a head shot on a fox at that distance, but would like to try and tighten it up a bit.
        Thanks once again..Cheers

Working...
    X