tumble or vibrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tumble or vibrate

Lets talk case cleaning. Do you need to have a tumbler or can you go ultrasonic only. If you use a tumbler to clean your cases how do you get all the cases out of the media without going through the media with your fingers and keeping a really good count. Do ultra sonics work well enough to use them alone for your cases. Thoughts, Ideas, concepts, working knowledge please insert them here.
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

I use the SS tumbler now, never used an Ultrasonic but the SS is generally considered to give the best results.
    I just sift them out by hand, doesn't really take long and thats for several hundred pistol brass.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Rcbs case media separator

Comment

I have a media vibrator, an ultrasonic and a rotary tumbler with stainless steel media.
        The media vibrator is basically a polisher. It is not effective on really tarnished brass, doesn't clean primer pockets well, but cases can come out of the media and be reloaded straight away.
        The ultrasonic cleans, but doesn't polish. So an ultrasonic and a vibrator will do a pretty good job together.
        The rotary tumbler cleans cases inside and out including primer pockets. Will clean tarnished brass and polishes as well.
        Ultrasonic and rotary cleaners use water solutions and therefore have to be effectively dried before use.
        To be honest, I haven't used either the vibrator or the ultrasonic since getting the rotary tumbler.
        In my opinion (and many others) its the only way to go.

Comment

• PWD
          PWD commented
          Editing a comment
          Quick and cheap way to separate media and brass is to buy a couple of the rectangular (about 200 x 200 mm), plastic, mesh type baskets that local $2 stores seem to have. On a clean tray (or large shallow pan) place one mesh basket, pour your media and brass into it. Place the other basket over it, so their rims are together and line up, grasp both baskets and hold them together by the rims. Gently rotate and roll 2 - 3 times and all media comes out through the mesh holes. Baskets are left with shiny, clean brass only and all of your media is now on the tray ready for you to pour back into the tumbler/vibrator. Total cost for 2 plastic baskets and a shallow plastic tray - under $10.

Regards
          Paul D

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          YEP Rotary tumbler with Stainless media.. shits on Ultrasonic and corn media vibrators..

1/2 - 1 hour in the rotary tumbler with a bit of dish washing detergent and they come out like new..

Put them through a case/media separator and give em a quick rinse with a hose..

jiggle for a few seconds in a towel folded in half and dump them in a screen tray on the concrete in the back yard for an hour or two in the sun..

dam there shiny..

I guess the proper response is wow they look good I think i will do it that way. who makes a good rotary tumbler
        "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Laflamme" post=21569
          I guess the proper response is wow they look good I think i will do it that way. who makes a good rotary tumbler
          I got my rotary tumbler from Ebay ( after much searching ) as the one from yanky land at the time was going to cost me $90 more.

My pin's are 1x10mm ( 4.5kg for my unit ) from the guy's at Aussie sapphire ( Very good people to deal with and quite fast on shipping ) Also running mp103 burnishing compound. and my machine is running at 40-60% pending on how many case's i have in there. Too fast they wont tumble to slow wont tumble well. But my unit is going strong like the day i got it.

The one thing i wasn't sold on was the barrel.........But it has proved it'self to better then i expected.

SS tumbler by a long shot. I used vibrator with ground corn for years, then went to ultrasonic, came across a SS tumbler going cheap and now I'm never going back to the others.

Comment

I use a ultrasonic cleaner (+solution) with a bit of 000 steel wool for the primer pocket. Shells are like new every time.
          Got it, Load it, shoot it..

Comment

How many kilo's of SS pins are in your tumbler Skip?

Comment

• El-Skippo
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Remo" post=22135
              How many kilo's of SS pins are in your tumbler Skip?
              It was mentioned early on. 4.5 kg of pins in my 8 kg barrel.
          Working...
          X