Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing new Hornady Brass for my .204ruger

Gday,

I have 300 new Hornady cases for my .204 and was wondering if I should F/L or neck size them before doing some load development with them.

I will weight sort them first.

I have my F/L die set up to bump the shoulder back 0.001" on a fire formed case. Should I just run them all through that die?

Or should I just run them through my lee collet neck die for even neck tension???

Or just load them as they are?

Thoughts!

I think most people would say FL size them first to get them all the same, if they were lapua then thats a different story(i know they dont do .204 unfortunately!)!.

Comment

• moofy07
      moofy07 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Aushunter, I full length resize new brass so they are all the same.

FL size and trim ( then weight sort ) no point weight sorting if your going to size and trim after. IMV if your going to go to all that trouble.

Trimming might sound silly but now and then you'll get the odd case that needs a fraction removed or squared up on the case mouth.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I should have also mentioned to do the other usual case prep as well like primer pocket uniforming,flash hole deburing, trim to length, chamfer & debur case mouth etc but to me thats just the standard case prep anyway!
      I actually find a lot of new brass is under the minimum length so trimming may not be required but I still check the length!

Rather than start a new topic I thought I would continue as my question relates to the topic at discussion.

I currently have a RCBS F/L die from the RCBS comp set and a lee collet die for my .204. I want to size my new brass.

As an experiment I removed the de-capping pin/expander ball from the F/L die turning it into a body die and sized a dummy case (not one from the new lot). I then ran the case through my collet die to complete the neck sizing process.

I found it quite difficult sizing on the Lee die as the case mouth was too small to get over the mandrel. I did manage to size the case but feel that I am unnecessarily overworking the brass.

After measuring the Expander ball on the de-capping rod from the F/L die it measured 0.200". After measuring the mandrel from the collet die it went 0.202", so i can imagine the measurement inside the body of the F/L die would be smaller again in order for the Expander ball to do its job on the way down.

Thoughts as i would like the less neck tension on my bullets.....

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry butta, I'm a bit lost - is the rcbs full length sizing die a full length bushing neck die or just a normal full length sizing die (where you can't talior the neck tension) - if it's a normal type, removing the decapping stem won't make it act like a body die. (it will still size the neck down).

Originally posted by butta9999" post=30796
      Rather than start a new topic I thought I would continue as my question relates to the topic at discussion.

I currently have a RCBS F/L die from the RCBS comp set and a lee collet die for my .204. I want to size my new brass.

As an experiment I removed the de-capping pin/expander ball from the F/L die turning it into a body die and sized a dummy case (not one from the new lot). I then ran the case through my collet die to complete the neck sizing process.

I found it quite difficult sizing on the Lee die as the case mouth was too small to get over the mandrel. I did manage to size the case but feel that I am unnecessarily overworking the brass.

After measuring the Expander ball on the de-capping rod from the F/L die it measured 0.200". After measuring the mandrel from the collet die it went 0.202", so i can imagine the measurement inside the body of the F/L die would be smaller again in order for the Expander ball to do its job on the way down.

Thoughts as i would like the less neck tension on my bullets.....
Working...
X