• Show
Clear All

• Stupid mistake

Ok so it's my first go at reloading.
    Deprived cases.
    Tumbled cases.
    Debured And chamfer.
    Reprimed
    Go to neck size ..... Fk this collet deprimes as well (lee collet die)

Tried pulling decaper rod out bingo.....
    Ah no it's not as it uses the rod to keep the inside the right size.
    Although I could seat a bullet it's prob not right.

So iam guessing I have just wasted a 100 primers?

Thought you all might like a giggle

Cameron

I haven't started reloading yet but instead of removing the rod can't you set it higher so it doesn't deprime as you size?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmm there seems to be no adjustment on the rod like ,the full length has the nut on top.
      the only adjustment this has is into the press.

Hey I did much the same thing.

All I did was deprime them again reused the primers and all good no misfires or funky stuff when fired either
    with the stuff and the things and the people.
    You there, Enlisted man!

Comment

Cam,
      very carefully resize & de-prime your shells, as per normal, but with due care.
      luckily, unspent primers that have been removed carefully usually are ok, as they rely on pressure on the out 'and' inside to ignite them.
      i'd re-use them but,..........(take note).......should you experience a misfire, leave it chambered in your rifle chamber for a few extra seconds in case you get a 'hang-fire'.
      this is a delayed ignition, which you wont want to lift the bolt on when it's firing at the same time..
      if you are concerned though, ......use a fresh batch of primers and start again.
      may I suggest as you are new to reloading, only reload a few at a time.
      this will help in case you make a boo boo during the re-loading procedures.
      don't worry,........we've al made plenty of mistakes learning about reloading.
      after a few years, if you're like me you'll have a nice collection of weird and exotic looking cases that didn't quite get resized properly etc.
      such is the joy of making your own ammo.
      do you have a decent reloading manual to use?
      if not, get a good one.

Comment

I have been tumbling them with the primers in then lubricating them and resizing +depriming .Then tumble again prime and reload .

Comment

• BlueBikesBlackGuns
          BlueBikesBlackGuns commented
          Editing a comment
          I personally de prime / re prime as the very last task before powder is put in / projectile seat.

I don't see why you would neck size after the projectile is inserted. It can be done before and that is the safest way,

You can neck size without the rod

Just gotta be careful not to put too much pressure on.

Just keep a pill handy to check your progress.

Now and then I get a neck sized one I didn't do enough on and the pill slips in.

I just do the above for the odd one. But doing 100 is going to take some time.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=20563
          You can neck size without the rod

Just gotta be careful not to put too much pressure on.

Just keep a pill handy to check your progress.

Now and then I get a neck sized one I didn't do enough on and the pill slips in.

I just do the above for the odd one. But doing 100 is going to take some time.
          "this collet deprimes as well"

I got the impression the op is using a lee collet die or similar where the center mandrel is required for neck sizing. Not sure if the recapping pin can be removed without going and pulling my die apart.

Steve

why do you deprime before tumbling ?
        obviously you have to resize (full or neck) before adding powder and seating projectiles. What is worrying is that you didnt mention if you measured the cases after you resized them. If they are too long it is dangerous and you have to trim them..

Sounds like you need to study a reloading manual.
        the primers aren't wasted. just deprime those cases and reseat the primers...

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Oziblue" post=20574
          why do you deprime before tumbling ?
          obviously you have to resize (full or neck) before adding powder and seating projectiles. What is worrying is that you didnt mention if you measured the cases after you resized them. If they are too long it is dangerous and you have to trim them..

Sounds like you need to study a reloading manual.
          the primers aren't wasted. just deprime those cases and reseat the primers...

Yes cases were all measured and trimmed to smallest of the batch.

And skip I did remove the mandrel and tried it on a few old shells yes it made the hole smaller but I then got concerned that it may be to small as the mandrel won't fit after and thought it may damage the projectiles by pushing them into the wrong size hole.

Cam

I would add another vote to being able to safely deprime the primed cases to get out of this scrape. I have done several ( but not a hundred) and never had a primer detonate on the press however the recycled primers have always worked in the rifle. Use PPE - ears and eyes. Bear in mind you want to use a universal de-primer for this job then the proper sizing die later on the un-sized cases. If you try to use the sizing die now on primed cases you would need lube and this may affect the primer.

Then in future if you really want to clean primer pocket workflow may go: Universal deprimer, clean primer pocket, chamfer/trim if necessary, tumble, then lube and size, tumble again to remove lube then prime and fill case.

My workflow is : lube, de-prime/size in one action, primer pocket clean with Lee tool, tumble, chamfer/trim if necessary prime, load.

Comment

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          I never attempted to de prime a live primer. Each too there own.

I did see a vid on the tube by ammo smith a year or two ago him showing how to de prime a live primer.

That's why I tumble twice the second time cleans the lubricants off which is important i have read and also the primer pockets

Comment

Im with skip
          I have the Lee deluxe dies and I have had a few cases that were a little large in the neck and the pills were loose. I removed the decap pin and just LIGHTLY tweaked it closed. If you pull like you normally would on the hande it goes too far but if you only go a touch it can tighten the neck for you

Comment

• El-Skippo
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by 10 Mile Sniper" post=20651
            Im with skip
            I have the Lee deluxe dies and I have had a few cases that were a little large in the neck and the pills were loose. I removed the decap pin and just LIGHTLY tweaked it closed. If you pull like you normally would on the hande it goes too far but if you only go a touch it can tighten the neck for you
            See ^^^^ I am not the only one ... I am not mad on my ways

You've only lost the cost of a box or primers and some time.

Bin the primers as you'll never be 100% confident they will all work and that will play on your mind.

Murphy's Law indicates that if one does fail to go off it will be while you're lined up on a trophy of a lifetime.

The cost of a primer is pretty low in the reloading equation.

Learn from the mistake and move on.

Comment

A few times with my big fingers I've actually put the primers in the wrong way I just very gently deprimed them

Comment

Working...
            X