30 - 30 Lever Gun And Sizing Cases.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 - 30 Lever Gun And Sizing Cases.

Howdy all, just purchased a Marlin 336 Lever gun in 30 - 30 today. Its my first lever gun and was wondering when reloading should I full length size or will neck sizing suffice? I have read that nearly all are full sized otherwise they may not cycle very well? Not new to loading but new to loading for lever guns.

Cheers Macca.

Full length size for lever, and dont use pointy projectiles unless they are the special flex tip Hornadys

Comment

I would full length resize every time. There is no real advantage in neck sizing in a lever action, it's not like wou will get .5" groups. Neck sizing will work most of the time but you will get the occasional failure to feed (no big deal but why would you need the trouble)
      You can use pointed bullets, load in the chamber and one in the mag.
      If you're going through hell, keep going."
      Winston Churchill

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks guys you have confirmed my suspicions, let the load development begin :lol:

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by MrCarbine" post=20518
        [color=#000000]I would full length resize every time. There is no real advantage in neck sizing in a lever action, it's not like wou will get .5" groups.
        I full length size all my 30/30 ammo, using FTX projectiles it averages around 1" and I do get the odd 0.5" 3 shot group.
        I doubt neck sizing would see any noticeable improvement in accuracy, for hunting reliable feeding far out weighs any slight increase in case life I might get by neck sizing.

There is full length sizing where the case and the shellholder almost touch, and there is full length sizing to fit the chamber.

For my 30/30 (the only rifle I don't own a neck sizing die for) I setup my FLS die so that the sized case goes into the chamber without resistance, but this is still some distance short of the die screwed down hard on the shellholder.

Try working your die so that rounds chamber easily and you will find it works better for you in the long run. And yes, I lose 1 in every 4 cases whenever I use my 30/30.

Comment

Working...
      X