New brass question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New brass question?

I just bought some new Winchester .223 brass, are these good to load straight away, or should they be FL sized first?
    Cheers....

Depend on how anal you wish to be. I would at least check them for length.

Mark
    Tikka T3X 6XC
    Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
    Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
    Remington 788 - 222rem
    Browning Trombone .22

Comment

• sirus17
      sirus17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn't hurt, doesn't take long

It's not the total length so much as they will not be too long it's the squareness of the case mouth and bringing them all to the one length . Winchester brass is not known for it's high consistency so some work on the brass is not wasted.
    Trim to all the same length . Chamfer the case mouth lightly in and out .
    I would also uniform the primer pockets , makes primer seating way better and more precision .
    Full lenght sizing should not be required but try a few in the chamber anyway just incase but usually they are way under chamber size unless you hvae a very tight chamber .

Comment

• GD308
      GD308 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys, I checked the case lenght which is pretty consistent, my main concern was the case mouth, there are a lot which don't look great...

If you don't square the mouth you can't get a good even chamfer . Sounds like you don't have a case trimmer .
    After neck sizing they may look better .

Comment

• GD308
      GD308 commented
      Editing a comment
      Case trimmer is next on my shopping list...

Run them through the whole process.
    I have found that new brass has always been oddly sized, long necked or has something wrong. I always full lenth, trim and chamfer brand new brass, especially with bag brass from mass production companies. If it was Lapua brass I would say load it straight away

Comment

• BJ343
      BJ343 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got some Winchester 223 brass recently too and gotta say it is pretty rough...as mentioned above they, just need a run thru to get the mouths right on

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 10 Mile Sniper" post=19693
      Run them through the whole process.
      I have found that new brass has always been oddly sized, long necked or has something wrong. I always full lenth, trim and chamfer brand new brass, especially with bag brass from mass production companies. If it was Lapua brass I would say load it straight away
      Agree, no point trimming to length if they are all different lengths to the shoulder. FLS, then trim the minimum amount off them all, chamfer inside, outside, uniform primer pockets, deburr flash holes etc.

Steve

If its close range (under 200M) hunting just run them into the die a little bit so the expander ball true's the mouth up and you should be all good to go after all the other previous mentioned checks. No lube and cleaning req and nice fire formed brass at the end
    Whitey

Comment

Working...
    X