Brass prep tumbling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass prep tumbling?

With fresh fired brass who just thoughts it stright into the tumbler or do you deprim them first
    and does anybody do both tumbly then deprim then tumbly again ?

Originally posted by Rat man407" post=19595
    With fresh fired brass who just thoughts it stright into the tumbler or do you deprim them first
    I de prime/size .... I am lazy ( why do it twice ) but your dies??? They say .... ( meh ) most of my dies are lee

I think the only one ill do twice is the 6.5x47 lap ... But everything else gets the same. Deprime/size and tumble-load-shoot

http://youtu.be/RdnD_cIILfc

Comment

• WhelanLad
      WhelanLad commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't tumble any that I reload, an don't ever plan too? I only hunt though

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=19598
      Originally posted by Rat man407" post=19595
      I de prime/size .... I am lazy ( why do it twice ) but your dies??? They say .... ( meh ) most of my dies are lee

I think the only one ill do twice is the 6.5x47 lap ... But everything else gets the same. Deprime/size and tumble-load-shoot

http://youtu.be/RdnD_cIILfc
      Good vid Skip and top tumbler set up too..... I slightly envious

i reload 9mm mainly

with 9mm i i deprime once every 5 uses of the brass, 10 mins in the ultrasonic, let dry then deprime, then stainless tumble.
    The other 4 times i tumble with the spent primers in.

The way i see it is burnt powder residue will build up in the primer pockets with every fire, layering on top of the previous residue.
    So after 5 reloads i figure there is enough burnt gunk in the pockets to justify the extra step.

Comment

Never really thought of de priming, is it really worth it with 38super?

Comment

• druid01
        druid01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Toom" post=19647
        Never really thought of de priming, is it really worth it with 38super?
        Not a scientific reason but in my mind 38super uses more powder with higher pressure, which possibly equals more residue, so more of a reason to clean out the pockets more often than 9mm

If using stainless media I would deprime and then tumble but for us hick's using normal media I don't as it gets caught in your primer pockets and is a pain in the ass getting it out all the time.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by reaper8" post=19800
        If using stainless media I would deprime and then tumble but for us hick's using normal media I don't as it gets caught in your primer pockets and is a pain in the ass getting it out all the time.
        Compressed air is the go!

Mick.

I used the stainless media, so I de prime, size then tumble. Works well for me so far. I believe the slightly larger stainless pins are the go as they don't get stuck in the flash hole. Mind you, I have just done around 400 7mm-08 cases and only 5 had pins in the flash hole, and they were easy to remove so I didn't lose the cases.

Comment

• druid01
        druid01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Rezon8" post=19831
        I used the stainless media, so I de prime, size then tumble. Works well for me so far. I believe the slightly larger stainless pins are the go as they don't get stuck in the flash hole. Mind you, I have just done around 400 7mm-08 cases and only 5 had pins in the flash hole, and they were easy to remove so I didn't lose the cases.
        Yea the standard pin sticking problem seems to occur most on small primer pockets, 9mm and 38 super etc in my experience, the larger pins are the go 0.047's, but i degress sozz

I deprime using lee universal decapping die, stainless tumble then size. Haven't measured my pins but haven't had any stuck yet in 357 mag, 223 or 308.

Comment

I might just have a couple of cases with slightly larger flash holes, you never know........ Like I said, it was only 5 out of 400, and all it took was a gentle push with a very small screwdriver to dislodge them.

Comment

So i ended up runing my .44mag and .223 thought the .223 came out looking pretty good but the .44 has like a black grease on it anybody know what it is?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Rat man407" post=20015
            So i ended up runing my .44mag and .223 thought the .223 came out looking pretty good but the .44 has like a black grease on it anybody know what it is?
            I don't know too much about loading for 44 mags but i think if you have sized with any type of wet lube then its picked up all the much from in the tumbler.

I think i really depends of how much you shoot, and much time you spend working with your brass and also your dies you are using.

If i was gonna be sizing with a FL die i would tumble - WIPE WITH A RAG (to get the dust off the cases so it didn't get mixed with Lube and in the die)

I personally could only think of one thing better then working (trimming, neck turning etc etc) with clean tumbled brass and thats a Sunday morning H.J

I use a 223 Lee collect die with the collect removed to deprime all my cases (222,223, all the 308 case family and anything else short) it just saves tumbling all the guts of the primer in with your cases and into the media.

Cleaning media is the pits, especially in Canberra in the middle of winter

Never manually deprimed any brass, too much hassle for 9mm

Comment

Hey fellas, My brass for the WHELEN is very dull in colour.... Any problems with this apart from not looking shiney?

ta

Comment

I've never deprimed my handgun brass before tumbling. Probably from when I was use corn cob media as the media would get stuck in the firing pin hole, now that I've switched to SS wet tumbling it might not be such a problem. Still it makes extra work for really no potential gains for handgun.
              “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
              X