Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket Scales

Hello all.

I am curious to know if anyone developing loads outside of their own home have had any experience using a pocket scale for measuring their powder charge.

I will be developing a load or two when on week long hunting trips and will acquire a Lee hand press specifically for this purpose.

Powder measurement is the next thing to sort out..I have my own scales but stumbled across a pocket scale when watching a bloke reloading with the hand press.

Because its small and compact it looks a great solution if they work. For anyone not familiar with them, they are often used for measuring precious stones and metals.

They are digital and have many modes of measurement..one being in gn's for powder measurement. Some will measure to 0.2 of a grain others 0.1gn.

Used in accordance with their parameters it looks like a great idea.

Would like to hear from as many people as possible who have experience using a pocket scale and whether or not you would recommend it given my above stated purpose. Thanks.

Do you mean .02 of a grain (not 0.2)? If so you could use something like the Gempro 250 which will measure down too .02 of a grain and can run on batteries but have a good stock of batteries as they don't last that long from my own experience or you could get a power pack to run it from your car's cigarette plug. Also I don't know how reliable it would be out in the field as they need some time to warm up and are quite sensitive to wind and temperature changes.

Comment

• Emptee
      Emptee commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Aljones" post=19225
      Do you mean .02 of a grain (not 0.2)? If so you could use something like the Gempro 250 which will measure down too .02 of a grain and can run on batteries but have a good stock of batteries as they don't last that long from my own experience or you could get a power pack to run it from your car's cigarette plug. Also I don't know how reliable it would be out in the field as they need some time to warm up and are quite sensitive to wind and temperature changes.
      Nope..I mean 0.2. So for example I could measure a load that was 25.2 gns.

It would be used on a table indoors. Others can do 0.1gns.

can understand it may not suit some people but for my intended purpose it would be great. Just wondering if anyone's used them without a problem.

Like this ? . . . .

Comment

• Emptee
      Emptee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep..that's it. didn't know hornady made them as well but I suspect its just renamed.

That is an exact copy of one I was looking at. anyone used one of these? I would be using it indoors to measure.

I'm not impressed with a y of the budget digital scales. I'd be taking my beam scales

Steve

Comment

• GD308
      GD308 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a set of the Hornady ones shown above, very frustrating scales, they time out after 30sec of non use and then when you turn them back on and rezero they give you a different weight on the same powder charge.
      I weighed some charges yesterday, I started with a load of 23.3 gr of 2208 weighed out 5 charges of this, as a test I turned the scales off and then back on re weighed the same 5 charges and got 22.7, 23.8, 23.8, 23.8 and 24.0.
      I adjusted these charges and reweighed until I got them all back to 23.3 but it took me 3 attempts.

Good news is they shot great this morning.....

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 6602steven" post=19260
      I'm not impressed with a y of the budget digital scales. I'd be taking my beam scales

Steve
      You read my mind steve as I was scrolling down the page
      No batteries required :lol:

Ultimately you would sort your loads out before going into the field IMO, at the range is another matter!

Then again you could take an inverter & your RCBS combo & pump out the loads in the middle of the bush, turn your tent into a man cave, great idea

I have some of those Hornady scales.
    I have produced accurate ammo with them but it is time consuming and frustrating.

Just consider when they advertise scale accuracy its normally +/-

So a 0.1gr +/- is only as good as 0.3gr accuracy.

Might as well just take your balance beams.
    I used to load at the range and just clamped my press to the table and used all my usual equipment.

JH

Comment

Working...
    X