Lee Hand Press

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lee Hand Press

    I have been thinking of getting one of these Lee hand presses for the purpose of taking away with me on week long trips hunting, primarily to use for load development or perfecting a load.

    I'm after opinions from people on what they think of them..is it easy to use for say loading 223 ammo. They seem to be a good idea as far as portability is concerned, not intended to be a full time press but just used in the manner described above.

    Anyone's opinion on this would be much appreciated.

  • #2
    Hi
    I have not used one my self but NUZO, one of our board members, has made this youtube video that should answer all your questions.
    Hope this helps..

    Comment


    • El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Good for at the range ( tweaking loads as ya go )

    • Guest's Avatar
      Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by DeCoY" post=19014
      Hi
      I have not used one my self but NUZO, one of our board members, has made this youtube video that should answer all your questions.
      Hope this helps..
      Decoy, He is talking about the Hand held press, not Classic Lee Loader.

      I was very tempted to buy the Hand held Press, but i decided that i didn't like the amount of force required to FLS(lack of leverage). so now i just use my full size lee press and mount it to a block of wood. if i need to take it anywhere i just un clamp it, and re-clamp it where ever it is needed. the scoops in the lee kits are pretty damn accurate. you might need to practice a few times but i was punching out 22gr 2206H every scoop. maybe only being 0.1gr over every now and then.

      If you think it fits your needs, buy it! it isn't that expensive and I'm sure it will be used.

      Cheers,

      Nuzo

  • #3
    I do all my loading with the hand press. For me, it just works better and the breech lock bushings work well too.
    I have a normal press but it doesn't see much use.

    I did have a problem with my first one. I snapped a handle off while sizing a case and was replaced under warranty

    Cheers

    Comment


    • #4
      Hello!
      I bought a Lee hand press when I was in Canada shooting on the Australian F Class team in 2002. I think it cost me $37.00 Canadian and has been one of my better investments for reloading, along with my Harrells thrower. As Skip says, good for loading at the range.
      Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

      Comment


      • #5
        Thank you all for the replies.

        One last question. When you guys use these at the range what sort of scales are you using to measure the powder. I have scales but was wondering if you use something more handy..not sure what there is these days. I watched a video on youtube and this bloke had what must have been some sort of very small electronic powder measure. From its appearance I myself would not have a lot of faith in it as I was very fussy years ago when doing this full on.

        Comment


        • Guest's Avatar
          Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Emptee" post=19070
          Thank you all for the replies.

          One last question. When you guys use these at the range what sort of scales are you using to measure the powder. I have scales but was wondering if you use something more handy..not sure what there is these days. I watched a video on youtube and this bloke had what must have been some sort of very small electronic powder measure. From its appearance I myself would not have a lot of faith in it as I was very fussy years ago when doing this full on.
          Nuzo reported good accuracy using a volume scoop, i have taken by beam scales and my digital powder thrower to the range..

          A reasonable set of beam scales would be all you need.

      • #6
        Decoy and Emptee are you talking about two different Lee Products?

        Emptee originally asked about the Lee hand press which requires standard dies:


        And Decoy is talking about the Lee Loader kit which is complete for only one calibre, this is what the Nuzo video is about:


        The Lee loader is excellent, I try to have one for each calibre I reload. They only neck size but within this limitation are excellent.

        Comment


        • Emptee
          Emptee commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by NewsteadVic" post=19130
          Decoy and Emptee are you talking about two different Lee Products?

          Emptee originally asked about the Lee hand press which requires standard dies:


          And Decoy is talking about the Lee Loader kit which is complete for only one calibre, this is what the Nuzo video is about:


          The Lee loader is excellent, I try to have one for each calibre I reload. They only neck size but within this limitation are excellent.
          Yes that's correct..I was talking about the Lee hand press. I watched the video and could see it was the loader...good of you to ask. Thnx

      • #7
        I used one for a couple of years to load various calibres and found it an excellent tool.

        Comment


        • #8
          I like the Lee hand press, it's really useful for smaller cartridges. I load 310 cadet rounds with it if I don't feel like setting up my full kit in the garage. I also have a universal decapping die, and I use the hand press to decap cases while watching TV, then throw them in the ultrasonic cleaner. For the price, you can't really go wrong! I made my own scoop for the cadet, I get very good consistency using AP70n and Trailboss.

          Cheers,
          Alex

          Comment


          • Guest's Avatar
            Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry Emptee, you are correct Newstead, my mistake.

            But i have watched Nuzo use the lee loader, and it is very simple, and you are right the neck sizing is preferable to full length sizing when loading for the same rifle.

        • #9
          Thanks everyone for the feed back..I'm sold on the Lee hand press which is to me a great portable solution when developing loads away from home.

          So there's no confusion I'll put together another topic regarding the use of a pocket scale...they seem like a great solution for powder measurement when away from home.

          Thanks again.

          Comment


          • #10
            sorry to resurrect an old thread but this option seems like the best for me as i dont really have a place to set up a bench press loader. if im right i will need to by one of these, a couple of extra breech lock bushes, a die kit and a set of scales.

            is there anything else i would need to get myself reloading (not incl consumables)

            thanks

            Comment


            • Guest's Avatar
              Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by zorba" post=61537
              sorry to resurrect an old thread but this option seems like the best for me as i dont really have a place to set up a bench press loader. if im right i will need to by one of these, a couple of extra breech lock bushes, a die kit and a set of scales.

              is there anything else i would need to get myself reloading (not incl consumables)

              thanks
              Depends on what you're loading, but if it's small rifle or pistol cartridges, yes that's the bare minimum you'll need.
              If you have a bench or table available, have you considered mounting a normal press and powder thrower to a block of wood, which you could then clamp to the table/bench when you need it? I did that with my setup, as there isn't much bench space in my garage.

              Cheers,
              Alex

            • Guest's Avatar
              Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              There are many, many more bits you "could" buy but one essential you haven't mentioned is a set of vernier calipers. You will need to check lengths.

              Does this press insert primers? If not you will need a hand priming tool.

              I would suggest you also get a comparator so you can measure consistently. Sinclair do a simple one, you need a holder then an insert for each calibre.

              Then there's case prep tools, case trimmers, meplat trimmers,,,,,,, the list goes on but for load development not essential.
          Working...
          X