Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder

Hi all,

Are powders calibre specific? I have .270 and thought I'd have a go at reloading and need all the help I can get.

What's a good powder to start off with?

Thanks

Shano

Download the adi manual from their website. The powders towards the bottom are slower burning and fill the case the most, that's were you want to start. Just because a powder is listed doesn't mean it will work in your rifle

Comment

While not caliber specific different powders burn at different speeds so are suited to different cartridge/bullet combinations. Generally faster powders are used in small cartridges with lighter bullets and slower powders for bigger cartridges and with heavier bullets. A range of powders will suit the caliber and bullet you plan to use but you will need to do some testing to determine what give the best results. Your reloading manual will have a range of powders suitable listed.

Because the powders burn at different rates you might find that you get over pressure signs with one powder but another powder will give you a higher muzzle velocity without any over pressure signs so depending on your application experimenting could very well be worth it.

Whatever powder you use make sure you start low and work your way up with the charge watching for pressure signs.

Comment

Shano,
        For a good read try, "Nick Harvey's Practical Reloading Manual".

Comment

• Vromme
          Vromme commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes and as others said ADI and Nick Harveys are a good place to start.

I use 2209 on my .270 with 130gn and it seems to like it (middle of the road powder).

Originally posted by shano253" post=18714
        Hi all,

Are powders calibre specific? I have .270 and thought I'd have a go at reloading and need all the help I can get.

What's a good powder to start off with?

Thanks

Shano
        Hi Shano, sometimes 1 powder can be used in several calibers but to some degree there will be a compromise in one way or the other(accuracy or speed) if you dont use the optimum powder for that particular rifle/cal combo.
        How do you know which is the best, trial & error unfortunately.
        A powders performance will differ depending on the weight of projectile used as well, generally speaking if using near the heaviest projectile for a particular calibre you would tend to use the slightly slower burning powder, on the other end of the scale generally speaking if you are shooting the lighter end of ther projectile range then a slightly faster pwder is normally better, this also depend on other factors like barrel length as well!
        I have tried 2208, 2209, W760 & 22013sc in my .270 & got the best results with 2213sc using 130gr projectile.
        Get a couple of manuals & do plenty of research before you start getting into it & buying gear!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I use 2208 with 110 grain Hornady v max, but 2213sc looks good too.

The ADI manual only uses a 14" barrel for the tests!
      Working...
      X