Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo Price Check & Discussion: .223REM

Hey.
    I recently bought my first 80 rounds for my .223REM.
    I chose this cal because i thought it would be versatile and affordable. 80 rounds cost just under $100 locally, which leads me to put it out there: what are you paying locally for .223 ammo? What's range and availability like where you are? What do you use your .223REM for, how often and how many rounds to you put through it in the average week, month, year? How does the price compare to other popular vermin control rounds such as 22-250, 204, 222 etc???

Average price for a box of 20 was around $20-21. I ended up paying $24.95 because i had to go to this store for something anyway and a 2hr round trip in the other direction would have cost just as much in fuel, if not more.

I ended up getting Remington rounds, 55gr PSP jobbies. Will the Remington brass be much good for reloading? What sort of accuracy should i be expecting from these rounds?

I'll be setting up a reload facility soon and loading highly frangible (hate using the word 'varmint', i ain't Yosamite Sam.....) rounds. I've read a lot of people loading .223REM with Trail Boss to bring shot report down to a dull roar while still getting improved performance than any rimfire. Anyone got some tips or advice of pros/cons on this idea? Most of my shots will be MAX of about 150m and most around 50-100m; just using .223REM for better terminal performance and longer reach than the old .22LR; shots out to 200m and beyond are way out of my skill set right now. Before anyone comes up with "why didn't you just get a 17HMR", the reason is that cost of 17 rounds is comparable to reloading .223 locally and i thought the CF was far more versatile in the long run. How much is it costing you to reload for your .223REM? What bullets do you find best for vermin control. What brass gives you best longevity and consistency?

Well, i think that's enough questions to start a discussion on this round that most members (with a .223REM) will be able to contribute to in some meaningful way. It'll be good to see just how versitile/available/affordable .223REM really is across Australia.

Cheers,

Gwion.
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

Remington brass is fine to reload. You will find best prices for factory ammo for 200 or more.

223 is the most popular centre fire cartridge in the country, and due to its size and popularity will be the cheapest ( same brand comparison) ammo of the cartridges you list.

The Remington 55 gn shoots abut .7 MOA out of my Savage HB 1:9 twist.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      [quote="Oddball" post=18056
      The Remington 55 gn shoots abut .7 MOA out of my Savage HB 1:9 twist.

Thanks,

Oddball[/quote]

Thanks Oddball.
      Have you found any difference in accuracy between the Rem 55gn SoftPoint and the more expensive plastic tip boat tail jobbies?
      Am i right in understanding that the plastic tip "varmint" bullets will have better terminal performance on light bodied game? I have found that even .22 hollow points have put a caliber sized hole through the most common pest species on my properety: hence the .223, so i could use more highly frangible bullets for better energy transfer and more effective terminal performance.
      Cheers

You will find with careful shopping that you can reload the .223 rem for Approx .50c although 70c-$1.00 is more realistic figure especially if using the best available projectiles.

And the .17HMR and .223 rem not in the same league.
    the energy level of a .17 HMR is only 20% of .the .223 Rem so more grunt to kill those pesky VARMINTS
    in all the years (30+) I have used dedicated varminter Rifles(Mainly Insanely accurate .22 Centrefires) I have never shot any vermin.
    The true meaning of the word vermin is WORMS
    [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
    [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
    [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
    [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
    [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Shooting Sports" post=18129
      You will find with careful shopping that you can reload the .223 rem for Approx .50c although 70c-$1.00 is more realistic figure especially if using the best available projectiles.

And the .17HMR and .223 rem not in the same league.
      the energy level of a .17 HMR is only 20% of .the .223 Rem so more grunt to kill those pesky VARMINTS
      in all the years (30+) I have used dedicated varminter Rifles(Mainly Insanely accurate .22 Centrefires) I have never shot any vermin.
      The true meaning of the word vermin is WORMS
      Thanks Shooting Sports. Being a word nerd, here is the definition of vermin and varmint according to my 2 volume dictionary:

Vermin: 1/ small animals that are troublesome or destructive. 2/ animals that destroy game, poultry or crops.
      root: latin; vermis = worm

varmint: dialect: 1/ vermin 2/ objectionable animal or person. [variant or vermin]

Varmint is part of the American vernacular and is in fact a bastardisation of vermin. I live in Australia so i say vermin.

But let's not get distracted with semantics.

Cheers,
      Gwion

PS: the 17hmr & 223rem are difinitely not in the same league, i agree, that's why i passed up the 17 for the 223.

If you are not going to reload then the Hornady Steel Case 223 is good value. I've seen it around for just under 30 bucks for 50 rounds which is a pretty good price. It's a 55gr soft point projectile.

Comment

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Action John" post=18518
      If you are not going to reload then the Hornady Steel Case 223 is good value. I've seen it around for just under 30 bucks for 50 rounds which is a pretty good price. It's a 55gr soft point projectile.
      If i could find it locally, i'd stock up to see me through until i set up to reload.

Called 6 shops the other day; no-one had anything but Rem, Fed & Win.

• Emptee
      Emptee commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Action John" post=18518
      I've used them as well and they have been fine. Also used the winnie value pack and the cheap federals..all 55gn sp and in my sako varmint they have all shot to the same POI and have grouped under MOA, I guess I got lucky in that way...the winnies gave slightly better groups.

I would steer clear of any steel case rounds that don't have the polymer coating on the shell...they were trouble in my friends tikka and I didn't use them.

When I was young I went crazy reloading...had so many different projectiles for many calibres. Now that I have decided to get back into it I will keep things simple.

Decent brass and primers and Sierra 55gn spbt...aka.. gameking...aka..Superoo. Bulk buy is great value, a sturdy bullet and plenty of the pro roo shooters bullet of choice..all things considered....no problem with med game and well placed shots on the porkers too.

last time i bought winchester whitebox it was $45 from memory,

but Centreway in keilor VIC (preffered shop) do 100 rounds of S&B 55gr soft point for $65 and hornady soft point 55gr projectiles for reloading for under $20 per hundred (can't remember exactly $17 rings a bell)

i've never tried to reload .223 down with trail boss but with ADI AR2206 its very accurate and flat shooting, out of the 7615 with a red dot 6" steel at 150m is easy and out of the H&R survivor MOA is easy at 100m

Comment

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Nomad" post=18569
      last time i bought winchester whitebox it was $45 from memory,

but Centreway in keilor VIC (preffered shop) do 100 rounds of S&B 55gr soft point for $65 and hornady soft point 55gr projectiles for reloading for under $20 per hundred (can't remember exactly $17 rings a bell)
      Thanks for the info.

Federal is crimped, as is american eagle coz its made by federal.
    Once you start reloading it will be a lot better on your pocket. Im running Sierra 55gn SP, and bought in a 1000 bulk pack they come down to 24c per round if I already have brass

Comment

• Gwion
      Gwion commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 10 Mile Sniper" post=18675
      Federal is crimped, as is american eagle coz its made by federal.
      Once you start reloading it will be a lot better on your pocket. Im running Sierra 55gn SP, and bought in a 1000 bulk pack they come down to 24c per round if I already have brass
      24c per round would be nice!

its a couple of months old (July) but here are the prices i paid for my last lot of components for 223 reloading.

Hornady .224 50gr Vmax - 100 $27.50
    Hornday .224 55gr Vmax - 100 $27.50
    Nosler .224 Varmageddon 40gr Balistic Tip - 100 $22.50
    Nosler .224 Balistic Tip 55gr - 100 $33.50
    CCI 400 STD Primer Small - 1000 $50.00
    ADI BM8208 1KG $94.00

Comment

If your looking for Cheap Factory Ammo,

the best i've seen is Federal American Eagle (black box) 50Gr Varmint Tipped box of 20 for $13.80 (I bought a few boxes and using the cases for reloading)

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        When this first became available i bought 10 boxes at $14.20 per box, the range where I shoot now wants $24.80 for the same ammunition and this was in the space of 6 months!!

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by ajbeattie77" post=19253
        If your looking for Cheap Factory Ammo,

the best i've seen is Federal American Eagle (black box) 50Gr Varmint Tipped box of 20 for $13.80 (I bought a few boxes and using the cases for reloading)
        i back this stuff my tikka loves it
        i get .4 moa at 100 with it

My reloading costs for .223
      Sierra Roo Load 55gr projectile 13c
      Small Rifle primer 5c
      20gr AR2207 11c
      brass free

total 29c/round + time.

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Oziblue, i'll look into the Sierras.

My Howa loves the Federal American Eagle (black box) 50Gr Varmint stuff for $69 for 100 at my LGS.
      Formally know as 462......

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by 462" post=19503
        My Howa loves the Federal American Eagle (black box) 50Gr Varmint stuff for $69 for 100 at my LGS.
        Where is that 462??

I still have some from my last buy. I shot it when I first got the rifle and it was so good I bought a case. Only problem with it is anything I shoot with it disapears.
      Only realised this week I could load the brass, I thought it was crimped (looked crimped too) but its fine, lucky im pedantic about saving brass.

Its called AR223 in a black box, its pretty quick so it cycles ARs better

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        OK. I'm fed up with inconsistent availability of ammo for my 223 so i'm shelling out for a reloading kit/set up! I am trying to re-kick this thread to get as much info from as many people as possible.

I have absolutely no idea about the process, other than what i've read on here and other internet sources. (thanks to the contributors above & other reload threads).

What can you tell me specific to loading for .223rem? (other than read a good manual or two: Nick Harvey is the one everyone recommends, yes?)

What have you personally had success in obtaining good accuracy with in regards to:
        - powders
        -primers
        -projectiles

If i'm going to load for pest control & target, should i develop two separate loads or can i use my pest control load for target if i develop it right?

I have also read about people loading down with TrailBoss (or something), using proji like a v-max for a quieter pest control (small critters) round. Any opinions or experience with this?

I'd appreciate any info that may be forth coming.

Cheers

Gwion

sako .223, 1:9 twist. S/S fluted tobler barrel.

I use Winchester brass for target loads, but have Fed, PMC, PMP, ADI, Rem, WW, and a heap of others.

All brass is cleaned, sorted and batched by headstamp.
      Military brass gets the crimp removed with a reamer- reamer fits in the 1/2" chuck of my bench drill, and I can de-crimp pretty quickly this way.
      LEE collet dies used, with FL resizing as needed.

I use 69 grain sierra match kings [any NRAA / WARA shop] and ADI surplus 62 grain FMJ's.
      24.5 grains of AR2206 for either projie in the winchester brass.
      Primer- whatever is going cheap @ the WARA shop.

This gives me around 3000fps, [never put through a chrony] 12 shot groups @ 600 yards can be covered by a 50cent piece [when the mug behind the trigger gets it right] using the 69 grain MK's,
      and a similar group @ 500 yards with the same cases, powder, but with the 62 grain ADI projies.

I picked up a bucketfull of the ADI projies years ago- gave them a clean in my tumbler as they were grubby and tarnished- then weighed them into batches of 1/2 grain increments.
      It might be worth giving TAIPAN a call and see what .223 projies he can supply- and buy in bulk with a few mates- Taipan projies are made in Australia- and damn good stuff!

For plinking or introducing new shooters I use the ADI projie ammo, for hunting I use the 69 grain MK load- but with disposable cases.
      Some of my military cases have thicker walls- so I reduce the powder by 1/2 a grain. [never had signs of over pressure- did it just in case]

could be a silly question- where abouts are you based?

stephen
      all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info, Stephen. I'm inTas and about 45min-1hr away from LGS in either direction. Choice of ammo seems limited and sporadic and expensive compared to what others say they pay. I've found one shop with good prices but they are 1 1/2 away. Very new to shooting so trying to figure it all out. I appreciate the info and advice.

Cheers
        Gwion

The most expensive component of reloading after the initial purchase of brass is the Projectile, buy those in bulk and that will bring the costs down. Also the most expensive ones tend to be the plastic tip type ones, soft points are often cheaper.

I buy bulk pack Sierra Super Roos (1000ct) and the last lot worked out at 11c each which is a cheap projie and they kill very well indeed. Buying Powder in the 4kg packs works out around $5 cheaper per 500gm so in reality your getting 500gm for free if you like (500gm packs are usually around $40) depending where you buy em of course.

Same deal with primers - buying bulk will save a few $$$

If you want to do lots of shooting you will definitely benefit from reloading.

By the way before buying any components in bulk make sure they shoot well in your particular rifle, no good buying bulk anything if it don't shoot right, but once you find what works - BUY UP! :lol:
      Good luck
      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

This may offer some help Gwion in your quest.

cheers

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Robert. I'll sit down and watch that now.

So, I've just ordered the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit. No questions there, except will it come with a shell holder i can use for .223?

I also bought (flying blind and trying to piece info together) a RCBS neck sizing kit (2 dies) and a full length sizing die (1 die). I am hoping i have done this right and am assuming the 2nd die in the neck sizing kit will be the bullet seating die???

Another question. Do i need to clean the cases every time and how critical is it for me to get a case trimmer in the short term?

Cheers
          Gwion

Any idea what the twist rate is for your barrel?
        I have 1 in 9" in my SAKO, and it suits the sierra 69 grain match kings perfectly, and does very well with the military surplus 62 grain projies.

I have used factory 50 and 55 grain ammo of various brands- but the 69's seem to work best for me.

If you can get cheapy military surplus- thier weight varies a lot, so they need weighing and sorting into batches.
        My "62" grain military surplus projies hit the scales anywhere between 59 an 63.5 grains.
        The dodgy weights gave differing points of impact- but once sorted by weight they are pretty consistent.

stephen
        all times wasted wots not spent shootin'

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by [email protected]" post=31312
          Any idea what the twist rate is for your barrel?

stephen
          t's a Howa Varmint so i pretty positive it's 1:12 twist. I believe 60-65 gn is the absolute upper limit for this twist rate, depending on the rifle. So far i've only shot 55gn factory rounds. Seemed to like the Rem soft point ok (managed a fairly consistent sub MOA around 0.5) but 10 shots with the Fed Game Shock look like a shotgun's been fired at the target.
          Cheers
      Working...
      X