1 powder 2 calibres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 powder 2 calibres

i am looking at setting up for handloading in the near future.
    what are the chances i can buy 1 powder for .204 & .243? maybe something like 2209?

AR2209 is way too slow for a .204R and only suitable for the heaviest of bullets in .243W.

Do yourself a favour and consult the reloading manuals like ADI and if a powder is not listed, it's not suitable. Also look at the bullet weight to see what suits what.

For the best match in calibres / bullets you will see that the powders listed in the middle of the range are the most suitable but if it's high or low in the list then it will work but you will suffer from the accuracy point of view.

The whole idea of reloading is to improve accuracy and consistancy with your ammunition.

Don't take shortcuts or you might as well forget the idea of reloading and just buy factory ammo for the same result.

Comment

2209? no
      2208 or BM8208 yes.
      However!!,............don't assume your 2 different rifles will like the same powder.
      one gun might shoot well with it, one might not.
      but you'll probably work the 2 loads out.
      I use BM2 in my 22-250 & my 22ppc with no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by bottleinspector" post=16583
        i am looking at setting up for handloading in the near future.
        what are the chances i can buy 1 powder for .204 & .243? maybe something like 2209?
        Might get buy with 2208, but your better off with 2 specific powders.
        Tikka T3X 6XC
        Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
        Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
        Remington 788 - 222rem
        Browning Trombone .22

Comment

2209 is too slow for use in the 204 Ruger. 2208 is about as slow burning as you want to go with the 204 and it will work in the 243 with bullets up to 75-80 grains.

In all reality though using 1 powder for 2 different cartridges will just limit the performance of both.

What you need to do first is work out which bullet weights will fit your hunting needs best and buy the most suitable powders for those bullet weights.

For the 204 get yourself some 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings and some 2206H, that gives an excellent small game load out to 400 yards.

For the 243 I recon 90 to 100 grain bullets would work best as you already have small game covered with your 204. These heavier bullets are more suited to bigger game like goats, pigs and small to medium deer. 2213SC or 2217 are the best ADI powders for the 90+ grain bullets in the 243. Alliant Reloader 22 and VihtaVouri N560 are also excellent choices for the 243 with 90 to 100 grain bullets.

Comment

yeah i figured i couldnt take a shortcut with this one.
            the mrs is up me about the money that my hobbies are costing...and i was hoping to buy bulk of 1 powder.

Comment

You had better buy "The Mrs" a box of Chocolates and go around the corner and buy two bottles of powder.

Present the chocolates first then sneak out to the man cave and dump your goodies.......

Comment

• El-Skippo
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                It's easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Mega" post=16611
                You had better buy "The Mrs" a box of Chocolates and go around the corner and buy two bottles of powder.

Present the chocolates first then sneak out to the man cave and dump your goodies.......
                a box of chocolates? she's been hassling me for one of those wicker egg shaped chairs that hang from a metal frame.....those buggers cost $499, if i have to buy her one of those then i think i deserve a AI AW in return

AR2206H is a very versatile powder. I use it in 30-30, 243, 308 and 35 whelen. The ADI data does list loads for .204 ruger with Ar2206H.

Comment

Best get the wife interested in shooting then mate, that soon changes the way they think about your spending money on firearms - well it worked for me anyway, now the wife drags me into gunshops! :lol:

As for powders - as others have mentioned its not always easy to use one type for multiple cals, I'm lucky in that respect as most of my cals are similar eg. 20cal, 22cal centrefires and they all seem to shoot 2206H well in all of them, having said that I do like experimenting with different components to see if they work too, nothing like having a back up load if needed when components are hard to get.
                Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

im hearing you vromme, I try and put away all the cash from foreign order jobs.
                  some one on the old sight had it right, "if I die, don't let my wife sell my gear for what I told her I paid"
                  she thinks my nightforce was $200, so I might of missed a zero, easy mistake to make, isn't it?

Comment

im lucky, well sort off. My wife has a horse and the daughter has a pony, they cost a fortune in upkeep so she don't complain when I buy stuff she actually tells me to

Comment

My wife gets to shoot more than I do....... So she actively encourages me to re load.

I tried the single powder for 2 calibres, just doesn't end up working very well. The 8208 I used worked like a charm in the .223, but was underwhelming in the 7mm-08.

I would suggest the 8208 for the 204, seems to work very well in the smaller calibres. 2208 for the .243.

Comment

I run benchmark 2 in my .223 & .308

Comment

• Mack260rem
                          Mack260rem commented
                          Editing a comment
                          AR2206H is great on just about everything

Yep 2206h, great results in 308 and 204

Comment

Working...
                        X