Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .308 Projectile Selection - Hunting/Target

Hey guys,

Will be starting reloading for the first time soon...once i buy all the kit. Starting to research bullet selection options for what i want/need.

Rifle is a tikka hunter in .308 1:11. Will mainly be using the rifle for hunting with a little bit of longer range target plinking also. Will use the rifle on anything from foxes & roos to Sambar Deer.

So what projectiles would be good on Sambar (closer range) but also accurate for say 500-700 yard shots (not on game). I would like to only have one round to reload for a while until i learn the ins and outs of load development. I dont want to have to try and work up 2 different loads right away.

So far the Berger VLD's sound great, but may be a bit of a pain to load to mag length of a Tikka and develop a load for?
    Hornady STT's another option, but might not be best for Sambar?
    Hornady Interbond? Costly?
    Nosler Accubonds?

Any help would be great. What are you guys using?

Regards Pete

I'm currently using 130g speed HP's in my Remington 700. They are very accurate but have only shot out to 200m with this particular projectile, I assume with such a big hollow point they would be no good for long range work. But they do an amazing job on pigs.

Comment

firstly, check the minimum energy input required for sambar hunting.
      this might have a large bearing on your selection.
      very hard to have one projectile to do it all "effectively".
      130's are great, but at long distance 150's might be better.
      150's will punch a hole through a fox, but pull down a sambar well.
      130's will explode a fox, but may be a bit light on a heavy sambar.
      150's will shoot further.
      130's will shoot flatter.

don't be surprised if you eventually have 2 different loads.
      just focus on the load that will suit the shooting you do most.

Comment

I use 168g Nosler BT with good success out to around 600m but have discovered 178g Hornady Amax to be a great projectile out to 800m on the goats . BC of the two projectiles are 0.49 , the Amax is a better hunting round when a poorly placed shot is encountered out yonder . The nosler is a great projectile until velocity drops under 1700 - 1800 fps where pin holing may occur if no bone is encountered . The 168g nosler will work just fine on your samber and the 178g will also shoot great with 1:11 twist in your tikka 308 .

I can not comment on the lighter pills , I don't use light pills in my 308 . The heavy projectiles will work just fine on the lighter stuff that's for sure.

Comment

I am using the Speer 130HP on most things, with 150 ballistic tips for stuff like Sambar, just not sure of the penetration of the 130s on heavier skinned game.

Comment

• pete86
            pete86 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks guys, this is good, keep it coming.
            The A-max's are great, but im not sure how they would go with a shoulder shot on a sambar? They would be great for anything else i shoot though and that would be my selection.

150 GR up i would be looking at using using.

Pete

• pete86
            pete86 commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by 10 Mile Sniper" post=15855
            I am using the Speer 130HP on most things, with 150 ballistic tips for stuff like Sambar, just not sure of the penetration of the 130s on heavier skinned game.
            Hey mate, what ballistic tips are you using for sambar?

Don't know what sort of scope you have but something with the ability to put a projectile out to 700 yards may not be suitable for the close in Sambar work you mentioned. Just to put a spanner in the works. Good luck.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• pete86
            pete86 commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=15859
            Don't know what sort of scope you have but something with the ability to put a projectile out to 700 yards may not be suitable for the close in Sambar work you mentioned. Just to put a spanner in the works. Good luck.
            haha, no spanner there mate. I know i wont find 1 round to do everything, but interested in what poeple have to say. 700 would be pushing it for me, just leaving a bit up my sleeve.

Got a zeiss duralyt on it for hunting but got a nightforce sitting there doing nothing from a project that didnt happen. So might put that on for a bit of fun. Most things i shoot have been under 300 yards.

cheers

I have decided on 165grain SGK. If you want to load one round and get the best of both worlds I don't think you can go past the Gamekings. I use Lapua brass, and 43.6 grains of AR2206H. Shoots great in my 700.

Comment

• pete86
            pete86 commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Dash308" post=15936
            I have decided on 165grain SGK. If you want to load one round and get the best of both worlds I don't think you can go past the Gamekings. I use Lapua brass, and 43.6 grains of AR2206H. Shoots great in my 700.
            Lots of people have mentioned GameKings as good one on other sites. Do you use the hollow points or spitzers? Will look into them. Thanks.

The Nosler 165 Gr Ballistic Tip Hunting & Nosler 165 Gr AccuBond might be the go!
          Both have the same BC's & SD's. Apparently shoot very similar meaning my zeros wont be off much and load developement will be close between the two. This sound about right?

Cheer Pete

Comment

• Benzac
            Benzac commented
            Editing a comment
            I use 168 Nosler CC for both target and deer, Dropped a Fallow @ 400+ not long ago

if you don't know already go to web site called ballistic studies and go to knowledge base.
          its got good info on reloading

Comment

• pete86
            pete86 commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by arfstar1014" post=16024
            if you don't know already go to web site called ballistic studies and go to knowledge base.
            its got good info on reloading
            Will Check it out thanks

Been having good success with the Hornady 180grn interlocks, shoot a good group at the bench @ 100m, and are hard hitting at short range and out a bit. Havent shot anything past 300m with them though. Here is a slug I pulled from a red deer I shot recently @220m. Cheers

A day not hunting is a day lost

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            The one set of bullets that does it all...
            The Berger Hunting VLD. Give it a go... Slightly expensive diet, but it's probably the best option out there for someone wanting a one bullet system.

Don't forget the energy/velocity restrictions that come with hunting over medium to long range distance... It's all proportional to game size. But generally speaking you should be good to nail a monster Sambar at 200-300 m with a .308, 500m for a hind and around 750m for a goat.

I don't discourage long range hunting, I just strongly encourage lots of practice. Spend a few thousand rounds punching small steel targets at longer distances. Once your comfortable, you should then be better prepared to do any longer range hunting you desire.

If you only ever intend to hunt short range, perhaps go a two bullet system. Sierra game king for hunting and say Lapua Scenar, nosler custom etc for target.
        Working...
        X