• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheOtherLeft
    commented on Guest's reply
    Originally posted by 1500Shooter" post=15770
    If you are shooting target loads
    The best way to judge the right roll crimp is to
    load up one case only. set your die to the correct depth.
    Give it a quarter turn .Put the finished case into your bullet puller
    and count how many time it takes you to bang the bullet puller onto the floor
    before the progy is out.
    3 to 4 hits with the bullet puller is spot on
    Good tip with the bullet puller. I have a kinetic puller so will give that a whirl.

Guest replied
    Yoshie is right as little as possible to do the job. If you measure the case diameter with a digital calliper before crimping then after it should not be any bigger . If it starts to get bigger you are bulging the case with too much crimp . That can cause chambering issues . Take a look at a factory round and get an idea of how deep the crimp is .
    If the bullet has a crimping groove then you don't need excessive pressure just enough to fold the case edge firmly into the groove not crush the bullet .
    Testing with a bullet puller is a good idea also .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If you are shooting target loads
    The best way to judge the right roll crimp is to
    load up one case only. set your die to the correct depth.
    Give it a quarter turn .Put the finished case into your bullet puller
    and count how many time it takes you to bang the bullet puller onto the floor
    before the progy is out.
    3 to 4 hits with the bullet puller is spot on

Leave a comment:

• Yoshie
    replied
    The quick answer is as little as possible. You need crimp to stop the bullet moving out under recoil, (which will bind up a revolver) and in due to mag spring pressure in a lever (which will cause feeding problems). You need to get rid of the flare and then just a little bit, if any. Trial and error. The more you crimp (work the brass) the less your brass will last.

Leave a comment:

• TheOtherLeft
    started a topic Reloading 38spl - how much roll crimp?

Reloading 38spl - how much roll crimp?

Hi guys,

I'm new to reloading and have bought Lee Classic Turret Press kit. I'm going to start the trial and error process of getting everything adjusted this weekend.

As I am reloading 38spl how do I know there is enough roll crimp? Does anyone have pics of too little, too much and what is the right amount of roll crimp?

FWIW it's for both revolver and leveraction.

Thanks
Working...
X