reloading 357 mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reloading 357 mag

okay i am new to reloading and I am trying to do some fairly specific pricing. I am trying to load 357 magnum for my carbine. Anyone with some experience please chime in but do you use 357 specific proje or do you use 38 special proje. another decision i need to make is weather to load for a rifle round with ap 2205 or a pistol round with ap70. current range limitations seem to suggest that i need to load as a pistol to keep my power factor down. I get that. but when I go to load full strength rifle rounds with ap2205 what proje. do I need to use. The book is fairly specific down to the brand. Can I use the same weight proje. of a different brand with the same suggested powder weight. Also do I need to use jacketed rounds with AP2205. I am still tring to source things to get a handle on the prices. IF anyone has some good websites they have bought there gear from with good prices please let me know. Right now I am trying to do the math on the money. I can learn how to reload in a few months (feb) when I get the equipment. right now I need to figure out what gear, what consumables, for what price. any help you can give me would be appreciated. I intend to shoot target for several hundred (like 500) rounds per month and then hunting later on next year after I get use to her and find a good place to hunt. Thank you for your responses and your helpful advice.
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

i reload for a 357 carbine - but no matter how cheap your reloads are you're never going to save money - 357 carbines eat ammo like nothing else on earth I reckon!

the calibre is very economical on cases (you can get at least 20 reloads out of them I've found) - if you use cast lead then your bullets can cost as little as 15c each (probably less) - if you want to cast your own bullets out of wheel weights then theyre more or less free.

personally I only load mine for hunting with premium projectiles - i also plink with the same rounds so I dont really know much about plinking/target loads

this is a very hot load and over book max so be careful and work your way up. I use a 158gr speer gold dot or hornady XTP FP's and 16 or 16.6gr of W296 - it gets close to 1700fps from a 16inch barrel with 3moa accuracy (the XTP HP's will actually shoot around 2moa but I've heard they open up too quickly on game with limited penetration - probably better suited to sub 100m varmints and thin skinned animals like goats and dogs) - these loads end up costing about 60c each from memory (you can probably load them with cast lead projectiles for about 20-30c each)

Comment

• Morgo
      Morgo commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by nuthead" post=14939
      357 carbines eat ammo like nothing else on earth I reckon!
      I'll raise you a Desert Eagle on that one Last time I had it at the range the barrel was waaay too hot to hold

I load .357 Mag for a handgun but have also used the same loads in levers.

.38 special and .357 projectiles are interchangeable.
    I run topscore projectiles which are a coated lead projectile, perfect for the range and plinking. I'd use a JHP for hunting.
    I've used between 14.5 to 16.0 grains of 2205 with either a 158 FP or 160 RN.
    I now use alliant 2400 at around 14.5 with a 158 or 160. I found the 2400 to burn better than the 2205.

Topscore projectiles 500 projectiles
    Box of primers 1000
    500g of powder

I'd work on $50 per each of the above
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• Laflamme
      Laflamme commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you for your response shall keep this for my records so I have something to look at. I will have to work up my own rounds I realize that. but you have just gave me something to work toward and with. thanks

• Laflamme
      Laflamme commented
      Editing a comment
      Morgo
      is it possible to get Alliant 2400 in australia. And thank you for the reloading information on pricing it is valuable to me and what I was looking for in this post. I said that once but I was talking to you when I said it I don't know if you knew that.

• Laflamme
      Laflamme commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Morgo" post=15330
      I load .357 Mag for a handgun but have also used the same loads in levers.

.38 special and .357 projectiles are interchangeable.
      I run topscore projectiles which are a coated lead projectile, perfect for the range and plinking. I'd use a JHP for hunting.
      I've used between 14.5 to 16.0 grains of 2205 with either a 158 FP or 160 RN.
      I now use alliant 2400 at around 14.5 with a 158 or 160. I found the 2400 to burn better than the 2205.

Topscore projectiles 500 projectiles
      Box of primers 1000
      500g of powder

I'd work on $50 per each of the above
      what does FP and RN refer to. i get flat point and round nose is that right. and those are both jacketed rounds is that right?

well going by the costing calculator created by another forum member in a separate thread (attach link here) if the round price on powder is $100 per kilo, and the ball park on proj is $100 per thousand...I know I can get once fired brass for $100 per thousand...given a powder load of 14.5 grains... that would give .39cents a round or 19.7 for 50 rounds. or $393 for the thousand. but I plan to only buy 300 cases and top up when I get down to 200. which drops the case price to $30
    so the damage is 33 cents or 16.2 for 50 rounds. Does this sound right to you or am I missing something.
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

It just so happens that the gun I am going to learn to reload for first is the Ruger 77/357. So I find it rather convenient that someone with SO much experience at loading for this bolt action rifle has appeared on the forum.
      Is there any advice you would be willing to give to someone who has no reloading gear on what to buy to reload for this gun. Is there any bit of knowledge that you wish you had when you started that you could tell me know so I will have the benefit of this heads up. I have sort of 3 months to think about it so there is no hurry.
      I thank you in advance maverick for your response.

Comment

i have had an interesting offer. a Dillion second hand four station progressive for $350 has become available . are these pieces of equipment any good second hand (given good condition from the first guy that is). because this sounds like a good deal.

Comment

Which model Dillon is it?
          Dillon have their no BS life time warranty.
          “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

the Dillon square deal. I don't know if it comes with dies or not.

Comment

If its the square deal I'd expect it to come with dies if its used since it uses proprietary Dillon dies and not the common type, plus you can buy they new for around $500

Comment

• Laflamme
                Laflamme commented
                Editing a comment
                So in short saving $150 is a good thing but only if I get the whole kit. Thanks for the info.
            Working...
            X