My video series on reloading for my 6BR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My video series on reloading for my 6BR

I had a little time this morning and I thought I'd start on a little project I've had in mind for a while

Here's the first vid I made today showing the sizing and decapping step, soon I will upload the next vid that covers priming, powder load management and seating. I'm hoping to have the series completed so can cover some testing at the Mudgee forum shoot next weekend

thanks, steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSIEredwM4

Comment

• Vromme
      Vromme commented
      Editing a comment
      Great vid, look forward to seeing the rest.

I have a horsey thing with the kids this weekend would have liked to make the Mudgee shoot (hard to jugle personal stuff with kids!) Hopefully I can make one in the near future..

Good stuff Steve! show us them BR Reloading skills!

See you over the weekend mate!

Cheers,

Nuzo

Comment

I always wondered how those crazy lil presses work. Cute :P

Comment

Nice video Steve but you really have made the process look complicated and it's not. It can be three times quicker if you modify that Base you made to be more like the Wilson Decapping Base.

The Decapping Rod does not ever need to be removed from the Neck Die. Sit Neck Die on Base and press the Cartridge Case into the Die to Neck Size. Invert the Die on the Decapping Base and press the Cartridge Case out, then apply a little more pressure and it pushes the Primer out and into the Decapping Base. Lift up the Die and remove the sized and decapped cartridge case. Simple and very quick. No need to ever pull the rod out of the die and no need for the hammer.

The Cartridge relief in the base is about 0.595" in diameter and about 0.252" below the lip the Neck Die sits in. The relief in the bottom of the base is simply to hold all the spent primers so you do not have them floating around your work area, just leave the base on the press and when finished slide them off into the rubbish container.

Just trying to save you some time.

Photos..... Neck Die sitting in Decapping Base, Decapping Base correct side up, Decapping Base inverted with spent primer container relief and Neck Die with case ready to be removed after completing all operations.

I'll modify the base you made me when I can get the use of a Lathe again.

Comment

Might be an idea to ask one of the Mods to move this Topic to the Reloading Section instead of the Welcome Mat......

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks for moving mods,

Ok here's part 2,
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RoV7TlMO1M

Edit: i made an error and the brass should have been put on for 30min in the U/S cleaner. I did the cases in two batches but reused the solution for the second batch

Part 3 should be uploaded tonight and covers priming with my 21st century hand primer

thanks, steve

Nice work Steve.

Have you tried Birchwood Casey Case Cleaner yet?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by DenisA" post=14922
            Nice work Steve.

Have you tried Birchwood Casey Case Cleaner yet?
            hey denis,

no, to be honest i don't like the U/S process. Too wet for me but it's useful for cleaning the inside of the case for weight sorting.

Normally i just put cases in the tumbler and they're done in an hour, then i decap and clean pockets with a pocket uniformer

next vid is uploading now

steve

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I got some of the birchwood casey for the first time not long ago & I was very pleased with the result!!
            The case are actually almost like new after using it!
            It is exxy @ $22 though!
            I'm trying to find a similar cheaper citric acid based cleaner that's available from the supermarket but I heaven t found it yet.

Hey all, here's my latest vid. It's a bit shakey from a production point of view. I was rushing to get it done while the house was quiet and it shows in my tense voice and tripping over words. also at some point the camera goes out of focus but this series is more about me learning how to produce these vids and at some point I may edit them down and do a voice over

thanks again, steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQj6GuuxKc

Comment

Great stuff Steve, keep it up as I'm sure lots of people have not seen some of this gear for precision reloading.

Are you going to take it all to Mudgee and give a Demo....??

Comment

• El-Skippo
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              The one thing I am not looking foward to doing.

Weight sorting 1000 130 vlds ... But its for the greater good.

Also weight sorting the cases.

( if I want to hit that fly when I get to Vic, I gotta get in the habit now )

Good vids Steve. Don't worrie about the camera work mate. If people complain about the camera work .... They are watching the vid for the wrong reason.

Ok, here's the vid showing case priming, as i say in the vid there are faster ways to do this but I'm making do with what i have but will upgrade to some propper reloading trays shortly

steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCcHfyBxo8s

Comment

Oh boy, the vids are rolling out now, here is the powder throwing vid,

hope there are some who are interested otherwise I'm gonna feel a bit silly

steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX5FvttmmOc

Comment

• Vromme
                Vromme commented
                Editing a comment
                There will be plenty of people interested Im sure, esp over a bit of time. A lot wont comment, unless they can find something negative to say.

I like watching these vids by guys who are obviously switched on. It is always good to see how others do things. I find you can usually pick up a few things here and there to try yourself. Like with most things there isnt just one way of doing everything. Some people find certain methods the easiest/best whilst others prefer different ways. As long as you get the desired results safely and enjoy the process, really what its all about.

Keep the videos coming. Great work.

Good work Steven.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Great video series, keep them coming.

I like the Lee pan you are using!!

In cold times I sit all my cases on a metal try on top of my wood fired heater or same tray at 100C in the fan forced oven, summer time outside on the same tray in the sun for most of the day.

Then all lots go into my tumbler for a few hours to give the nice high polished finish with protective coating against tarnish. Corn Cob with Lyman Turbo Brite Brass Polish added. Some cases I have cleaned this way near two years ago and not used are still ultra polished and no sign of going dull or tarnished.

I have had the same Corn Cob Media for several years, washed inside a stocking when dirty with detergent and sun dried then back in the tumbler with the appropriate amound of polish added and run until the polish is all absorbed.

Comment

• Varminator
                Varminator commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Mega" post=16357
                In cold times I sit all my cases on a metal try on top of my wood fired heater or same tray at 100C in the fan forced oven, summer time outside on the same tray in the sun for most of the day.

Then all lots go into my tumbler for a few hours to give the nice high polished finish with protective coating against tarnish. Corn Cob with Lyman Turbo Brite Brass Polish added. Some cases I have cleaned this way near two years ago and not used are still ultra polished and no sign of going dull or tarnished.

I have had the same Corn Cob Media for several years, washed inside a stocking when dirty with detergent and sun dried then back in the tumbler with the appropriate amound of polish added and run until the polish is all absorbed.
                A couple of nice little tips there Mega, thanks for that mate.

Also, don't be afraid of using the suggested mixtures of say 50% White Vinegar & 50% Water. White Vinegar alone is just a very mild Acetic Acid about 5-8% diluted with water before you mix it further. It's a cleaner for brass and you aren't soaking your cases for days in acid. Contrary to belief it will not strip the Zinc in the Brass either in such a short time.

Flush your cases between mixtures and also use a Neutraliser like Bicarb Soda or better the Birchwood Casey will will clean further. Living in the country I use Rain Water but if you live in the city I would suggest you don't use the city water if you can use something else. The many additions added to city water will affect the cleaning properties of your mixtures and leave it's own stain on the brass cases.

Sorry to go "Off Topic" and destroy Steve's Video series.... any discussion should be taken elsewhere under the appropriate headings.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Mega" post=16603
                Also, don't be afraid of using the suggested mixtures of say 50% White Vinegar & 50% Water. White Vinegar alone is just a very mild Acetic Acid about 5-8% diluted with water before you mix it further. It's a cleaner for brass and you aren't soaking your cases for days in acid. Contrary to belief it will not strip the Zinc in the Brass either in such a short time.

Flush your cases between mixtures and also use a Neutraliser like Bicarb Soda or better the Birchwood Casey will will clean further. Living in the country I use Rain Water but if you live in the city I would suggest you don't use the city water if you can use something else. The many additions added to city water will affect the cleaning properties of your mixtures and leave it's own stain on the brass cases.

Sorry to go "Off Topic" and destroy Steve's Video series.... any discussion should be taken elsewhere under the appropriate headings.
                thanks mega, i should say when i first bought the U/S cleaner i like most others spent a bit of time experimenting with solutions and i found that the 50/50 solution used on a 20-30 minute cycle lest a rough, etched appearance on the brass and residual solution post washing/neutralizing left a "burn" mark where cases were left in contact with each other or the surface they were left on to dry

I am of the opinion that the acid plays little in removing the carbon from the case, from my understanding it does remove oxidisation, helping to make the brass look shiny (and possibly removing any carbon attached to the oxides) but it's the high frequency "vibration" for the want of a better word that removes the carbon (longitudinal or compression waves specifically) if this were not the case the U/S cleaner would not be required at all and we could just throw our cases in a bucket of vinegar/water and leave overnight for spot free brass

there are other methods of cleaning brass, one i remember involved an aluminium plate or even foil in water with washing soda (sodium carbonate), the black oxidation of my mums silver spoons simply dissolved into the water, another method uses an ammonia/water mix 40/60 to remove oxidization but none of these methods react with the carbon

I've used fairly strong solutions of hydrochloric acid to remove marine growth from brass articles i've retrieved from shipwrecks over the years, and the acid itself does little to the brass in the short term but the calcium carbonate from the coral and encrusting beasties simply fizzes and bubbles away

it's an interesting topic and lets face it, what works for one may be too hard, slow or dirty for another, if i could stand drying the wet brass i'd have built or bought an stainless wet tumbler already re: skips tumbler of awesome

My wife's a science teacher and until recently had an option for yr 11/12 chemistry. there was some interesting metallurgy stuff in there, i may try to dig some of it up

steve

Keep it going 6602steven.....this is a good thread.
              I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=16666
                Keep it going 6602steven.....this is a good thread.
                Thanks for the encouragment SC, I've been distracted the last day or so by a plumbing issue at the house but I'm hoping it will be fixed over the weekend and I can get back to it.

Steve
            Working...
            X