Hornady V-MAX vs Hornady SPs .223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady V-MAX vs Hornady SPs .223

What bullets do you guys use in your .223 for hunting?
    there will be used on pigs and goats
    and both would be 55grain

i would probably use something alittle more heavy that 55 if your going to be shooting pigs and goats
    thanks!!

Comment

can't go any more in the .223 only got a 1:12 twist

but the .223 will only be if i can't get close enought to take a shot with the .44mag

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Rat man407" post=14217
        can't go any more in the .223 only got a 1:12 twist

but the .223 will only be if i can't get close enought to take a shot with the .44mag
        55gr SP will be fine on small/medium sized pigs/goats just be sure of shot placement.

i would chose SP over PolyTip due to better penetration, but both should get the job done if placed correctly.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers,

Nuzo

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Both of those bullets are designed for varmints(small game) and should not be used on game bigger than a medium dog.

If you want a bullet more suited to pigs and goats try the Sierra Game king line, they make a couple of 55's that will hold together better than the Hornady offerings:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/products/bullets/rifle.cfm/caliberID/3

Barnes do a 50 grain TSX bullet that will stabilize in a 1 in 12 twist and that is probably your best option:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/components/rifle/tsx-bullet/

Looks like they do a 53 grainer too, I would be checking it out.

I use vmax in 55gr aswell as the Zmax . Very Very accurate , however make sure your shot placement is good because I have seen with my my own eyes a goat not respond to a chest shot needing a 30-30 to finish the job. Fluke ? I dont know but if I shoot goats I will be using a Sp or 60gr pill + unless shot placement is certain

Comment

yeah will keep it all i mind i might not even get a chance to fire it most of the shots are in .44 range so should not need it

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I've picked a few 55grain vmax out of pig, goat and two foxes and the jacket was all till in once piece, they make a good mess.

I have only used my 55g hornady sps on a hare so far, they went right through his chest and he hopped for about 10 - 20 metres and required a second shot to finish. It didn't fill me with confidence about using them for a chest shot on a larger animal but then they probably wouldn't over penetrate a pig or a goat. Even then I've seen a big goat run 10 metres before dropping with a 130g 308 round in him, so a 223 still wouldn't be my choice for a body shot, at least with soft points.

On the other hand my 223 shoots half to one moa so I would be confident of a headshot should the opportunity present itself.
        "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

This is my preferred 55gn Projectile for pigs and foxes etc - cheap at 11c each and kill very well.

Sierra Game King (Super Roo)
          Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

My rifle I more accurate with the bulk pack hornady then z max. Till about 200m
            I'm about 2/3's through the packet of 6000. And am very impressed with them. will buy another bulk box.
            they defiantly hit pigs harder.
            Where the zmax is more forgiving on softer skinned animals.

I've found a load with zmax with the same poi at just over max load. I normally load a few up and keep them on the dash for the glowing fox eyes on the very edge of the powa beam,

From. Memory I paid 10.2c for the sp. and 17.5 for the z max.

Comment

• BJ343
              BJ343 commented
              Editing a comment
              it is really nice to have two go to loads for .223...these two maintain the exact same zero in my Remington 700 police...they are zen arrows, rough one holers..
              55gn Nosler Ballistic tips, driven by 24.5 gns of Benchmark 2, full length sized, OAL 58.25mm
              69gn HPBT Match driven by 22 gns Benchmark 2, full length sized, OAL 58.2mm
              both pretty mild for .223 per the ADI book....gee they work a charm

Those Barnes TSX projectiles won't stabilise in a 1:12 so I wouldn't bother. A 55gn soft point will do the job as long as you put it where it counts.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Atirau" post=14608
              Those Barnes TSX projectiles won't stabilise in a 1:12 so I wouldn't bother. A 55gn soft point will do the job as long as you put it where it counts.
              The 50 grain TSX's will definately stabilize in a 1 in 12 twist barrel at 223 velocities because I have used them with great results.

I have never used the 53 grainers so cannot comment on them other than to say that the Barnes site says they will stabilize in a 1 in 12 twist barrel.

The 55 grain TSX's will not stabilize in a 1 in 12 barrel have tried them too.

Berger 52gr FB Varmints. Very effective on varmints and accurate.

Comment

Working...
            X