Reloading stuff ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reloading stuff ups

Below is two cases that unfortunately have been mangled by my inexperience.

I was using a lee sizing die and was trying to neck size which you do adjusting the die. Unfortunately something wasn't aligning right and the below is the result. The below happened awhile ago so can't really recall but anyway make sure of everything before you press that case to avoid this
    Attached Files
    with the stuff and the things and the people.
    You there, Enlisted man!

OUCH

Comment

Worst thing I done was missing the signs of case fatigue. Mind you it was only it's second reload for the 303 british case.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0414.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	30040
      You'd have thought that it had black powder in it with the amount of smoke that came from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshy68" post=14013

I was using a lee sizing die and was trying to neck size which you do adjusting the die. Unfortunately something wasn't aligning right and the below is the result. The below happened awhile ago so can't really recall but anyway make sure of everything before you press that case to avoid this
        What the ..... Looks like your trying to make a dog whistle that top one

Yep we all stuff up, my worst one was reloading .223 tired .... When I seated a pill I had raised the ram while holding the pill ( flat base bullet ) I neglected to remove my thumb while still raising the ram. I basically ripped half my thumb off. The pill grabbed the fleshy part and jammed up into the ram.

Quite painful, moral don't reload tired this could happen or worse ( double charges etc )

I know and have since done prep one day and seating primers then the next charging and seating pills. ( also never used a charging tray. ) I charge and seat the pill. ( less chance of stuffing up )

Comment

Originally posted by Marshy68" post=14013

I've managed to modify a few cases like that over the years
          Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            G'Day Fella's,

Marshy68, I have done most of them!

2 x No powder,
            1 x double load (.45ACP)
            Head separation (various rifle calibres)

But I have never stuck a case in a die!
            No shortage of mates/customers of mine have done this, and because I made up a Stuck Case remover, I see them all!
            I always recommend that they put this extracted case, in a prominent location in their reloading room as a reminder!!!

Doh!
            Homer

This was my very 1st bullet seating effort... might have gone a thou too deep.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I think youve tried to reload a dog whistle, thats all it is!

I've stuck a couple of rifle cases in dies over the years due to too little lube. Crushed plenty of 9mm when it doesn't line up with Station 1 in a 650 properly. Made plenty of funnels when 38 Super brass sneaks into the 9mm pile (over-belling at Station 2). Funniest was forgetting the 650 was setup for 9mm and trying to powder in a .357 Mag case. Had a photo of that one on the old forum but can't find it now.
          Good thing I sandbagged the [email protected]#k out of that match or I'd be B Grade in Classic now too................

Comment

Worst one that I did was due to a set of cheap digital scales that I'd bought on eBay.
            I weighed some projectiles that I had on hand in .312 and found them to be 115gn or thereabouts. I loaded them into my old bolt action 32.20 with a full load of 13gns of 2205 and took them to the range to try. After firing a few and not being able to hit the target at 50 metres, I pulled one apart and checked on a set of quality scales that someone else had - 175gns!
            Lucky the old rifle has a strong action!

Comment

*I crunched a couple of shoulders like in the top pic (not quite as bad)
              *Dented shoulders from too much lube
              *3 stuck cases in dies (2 from over lubing , 1 from faulty die)

JH

Comment

• sirus17
                sirus17 commented
                Editing a comment
                haha i squashed one like in the OP but because i didnt read the manual for the new set of dies i had for my 223, in my 270 dies i scew the die in untill it touches the ram then ajust seating depth with the top, on the 223 dies i put a shell in then extend the ram and screw the die seater in untill it touches the case then ajust the die for seating depth, so i just screwed the die in untill it touched the ram and whamed a case in in there ahhaa
            Working...
            X