Bullet pulling .17 Rem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet pulling .17 Rem

Previously, I have tried dismantling (bullet pulling) .17 Rem ammo with a Kinetic Bullet Puller only to find it does not always work due to the light weight (25 grns) of the projectile (and the grip of the case neck). Does anybody know of a successful method that will enable the projectile as well as the case and powder to be reusable (un deformed) ?

Would seating the bullet deeper first (to break the grip of the case neck) improve the success rate with a kinetic bullet puller ?

Have already tried a drill chuck and a file trim die in the press to support the case neck without any consistency.
    This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

you could try the Hornady collet trpe bullet puller, wont wreck the cases but they are still making 17 cal pills?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to pull some very tight .223's with a kinetic puller. Belting them on the bench wouldn't budge them. After reading a post from the old forum, I put a piece of hardwood upright, clamped to the bench, and pounded them against the end grain. A few good hits and they dislodged. BIG TIP, put a piece or sponge or cloth in end of puller to protect end of projectile, especially if plastic tips.NBT

I use an RCBS collet die, doesn't damage the case or projectile :P
    Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

I pound my kinetic bullet puller against a 10" section of old railway line---no problems at all!!
      Faster Horses
      Younger Women
      Older Whiskey
      More Money

SSAA N52

Comment

Not using .17 Remington but I came adrift with little light .20 Cal as in .204R bullets. Most bullet pulling I can do inside the house on a block of hardwood but not the .204R so I head outside and use a large piece of Box Wood on the end grain and can usually then only need a couple of blows. Tried on concrete and a piece of railway line but one of them put a very small crack in the base of the puller. I'd say just a little too solid and the hardwood just gives a slight touch of cushion effect.

Larger calibres, .22 upwards generally only need one hit perhaps a second depending on neck tension.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I have pulled bullets from larger calibres OK and concur on the use of a hardwood block and padding for ballistic tip projectiles.

A collet die may be the way to go.

Forster (I think) used to make a die not unlike a file trim die that had a flat spring on the top of it to grip the bullet. You insert the round and the spring was pushed out, then when the round was withdrawn the spring gripped the bullet. It remained in the die until the next round pushed it out. Don't know if it came in .17 though.

That has given me an idea about adapting a file trim die.
          This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

Working...
          X