Steel vs Brass cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel vs Brass cases

I've recently bought a S&W 686 .357 magnum and I am keeping all the used shells for future reloading. I have steel and brass shells (mostly Federal brass) but I don't know which is better or why. Any opinions from your experience is greatly appreciated, thank you !

Onikos 70, what do the "Steel" cases look like?
    If they have a Chrome like finish, they are just brass cases that have been Nickel plated!
    There is basically no difference between these and the normal Brass cases!

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      First up, sorry for posting this in the wrong section, I hope the administrators could put this in the reloading section. The cases are from Federal 158 JHP called "personal defence".
      Thanks Homer, you just pointed me in the right direction( did't think of Nickel plating ). I got a magnet and guess what?( magnets don't lie) They must be nickel plated.

I thought there were steel cases but they are not reloadable
    thanks!!

Comment

I don't have any steel cases ( as I just found out ) . So which is expected to last longer brass or steel cases? Do the steel cases have any effect on the reloading equipment?

Comment

While steel case ammunition is commercially available for many rifle calibres, i think only only one manufacturer ever tried this for 357 mag (Tula Ammo from Russian Federation). It didn't sell we'll anywhere and I don't think it was ever imported into Australia in any quantity. Steel cased ammo has a dull grey colour.

Some manufacturers of 357 mag prefer to market cartridges with nickel plated brass cases. These cases have a bright silver colour. The theory is that nickel plated cases have slightly less friction than ordinary brass cases and can be loaded and ejected from revolver cylinders a bit faster.

In my experience this is true but the difference is very small. For reloading, I prefer ordinary brass cases but mostly for aesthetic reasons.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Stan 66" post=12801

Some manufacturers of 357 mag prefer to market cartridges with nickel plated brass cases. These cases have a bright silver colour. The theory is that nickel plated cases have slightly less friction than ordinary brass cases and can be loaded and ejected from revolver cylinders a bit faster.
          Nickel plated ammo has its place with duty ammo that will be loaded and unloaded regularly, to redu e tarnishing and corrosion, to aid in longevity of service life. Generally people who may need to rely on ammo for their life like quality. If it looks good it is.

Thanks,

Oddball

Steel cases can be any colur from grey, to brown and grey to name the more popular ones. I do know some people who have reloaded steel cases, but the money saved versus wear and tear on reloading dies does make you question the viability.

If it was me, I would spring for brass nickel plated cases will not last as long as brass.

Take it or leave it.

Thanks,

Oddball.

Comment

Working...
        X