Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred brands of brass for reloading

Hi guys,

I'm slowly building up my stocks for reloading. Which brands do you prefer?

i know Starline and Winchester are the best but what about Geco, Federal, Blazer etc? Google-Fu found a thread on Shooting ,com,.au about Geco brass but there's no data. US sites report Geco brass has smaller flash holes and hence decapping pins tend to get broken from them without sizing the flash holes first.

What do you guys think?

for rifles lapua if you can get it, very closely followed by norma/nosler (if you can get it), I'm not sure about the other brands (never used them)

for pistol cals it doesnt seem to make much difference? I do like starline though

Comment

Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=11640
      Hi guys,

I'm slowly building up my stocks for reloading. Which brands do you prefer?

i know Starline and Winchester are the best but what about Geco, Federal, Blazer etc? Google-Fu found a thread on Shooting ,com,.au about Geco brass but there's no data. US sites report Geco brass has smaller flash holes and hence decapping pins tend to get broken from them without sizing the flash holes first.

What do you guys think?
      I would think Lapua & Norma brass are the top 2. I've had ok & bad Winchester, Remington is not too bad.
      Tikka T3X 6XC
      Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
      Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
      Remington 788 - 222rem
      Browning Trombone .22

Comment

I was told that Lapua was the best but after 4 reloads the head would jam in the priming tool shellholder and in the shellholder in the press. Bought a Redding for the press for the same result. Winchester brass was a bit better but went the same way eventually. Now, I chuck the cases in a drill and hold a file to the rims. Winchester are cheaper

Comment

You mentioned Starline, sounds good to me, Winchester are know quality. I have over 5000 cases, most used or a few new starline, new had a problem.
          I stay with starline, I know they are available, hence why look further.
          In 9mm and 38 super I have over the years pick up many brands, never had an issue reloading anything, even someone who used the 9mm military brass, I don't know where they get it, but reloads well for my practice rounds.

In match grade its either Winchester or Starline or nothing.

Comment

• sirus17
            sirus17 commented
            Editing a comment
            I use Norma in my 270 and it is great, tried Winchester and it was rubbish, federal worked ok and I have some ppu that I haven't tried yet.
            For the 223, I've loaded some Norma again and it is also really good, but the federal is my favourite, I went to buy some Winchester boxes but all the rounds had green crap on them so I was like meh screw that, I also got some bulk Remington brass and that tidys up pretty good, I haven't put it through it's paces yet

i use remington for general work some of it has 13 handloads under it's belt and lapua when accuracy really matters

winchester is shit 2 loads and a lot of it had split necks i won't be using it again

Comment

For handgun I tend to prefer Winchester, may or may not be the best but they never given me any real issues. Federal and their crimped primers annoy the heck out of me.
            “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

For Target work Lapua
              For hunting , Feds and Rem
              Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
              Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
              Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
              Ruger American .22wmr
              BSA SuperSport XL .22
              Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
              Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

What Mack260rem said with the addition of Norma for hunting.

Comment

Using Winchester and Starline Brass for 9mm pistol reloading.

Federal and Starline Brass for .357Mag/.38 Special revolver reloading.

Thanks...

************************************************** *********************************************

Comment

I only taking rifle but my pick would be:

(1) Lapua
                    (2) RWS
                    (3) Norma

Then whatever was about at the time.

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by Snag" post=11730
                      I only taking rifle but my pick would be:

(1) Lapua
                      (2) RWS
                      (3) Norma

Then whatever was about at the time.
                      Agreed,

what ever I can get my hands on I batch the brass into brands and go from there all brass cracks or splits keep using them until they crack then through that case out

Comment

Me I'm not fussy, I use all brands of brass - I only hunt and honestly they all work well enough for that, I've not noticed any advantage of owning one brand of brass over the other for the purposes I mentioned.
                      Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I am interested in this as I plan to start reloading in the near future. I've read somewhere but can't remember where that GECO brass is good.

I use Norma cases for 7mm-08 & 300WM and Lapua cases for .222, .223, 243. Never had a problem.

Comment

I use Nosler custom brass when I can
                        When you work out the cost per reload the more expensive brass works out cheaper

Comment

Working...
                        X