Howa 223 reloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howa 223 reloading

Hi guy's, I have been shooting for a short time and brand new to the reloading game. I shot in a local bench rest comp the other week and got smashed. So i have decided to start reloading and trying to get a bit getter.

As the title say's I am starting off reloading my Howa 223 heavy barrel. With the demise of shooting.com I lost all that fantastic information that the members had posted. The main drama I am having is working out the over all length. I have tried various methods to work out the maxium length to the lands but not sure if its right.

I was wondering if someone could throw me a bone and let me know what OAL they are using.

thanks jules

Originally posted by j-tyson" post=11016
    Hi guy's, I have been shooting for a short time and brand new to the reloading game. I shot in a local bench rest comp the other week and got smashed. So i have decided to start reloading and trying to get a bit getter.

As the title say's I am starting off reloading my Howa 223 heavy barrel. With the demise of shooting.com I lost all that fantastic information that the members had posted. The main drama I am having is working out the over all length. I have tried various methods to work out the maxium length to the lands but not sure if its right.

I was wondering if someone could throw me a bone and let me know what OAL they are using.

thanks jules
    Easiest method is to buy a Hornady OAL gauge. Then take a fired shell from your rifle to a gunsmith with the correct tape.
    You could get by with the shell that hornady sell, but a fireformed case is more accurate.

Mark
    Tikka T3X 6XC
    Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
    Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
    Remington 788 - 222rem
    Browning Trombone .22

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the exact way i did it for 10 year's till i have now got the Oal Gauge from Hornady. Howa you can assemble and disassemble with your hand... No tool's needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-D1mEI514

You can send the Case to Stuart and Annie at BRT, for them to make your gauge nice and true. for about $20 each i think. If you have the OAL gauge. If not they sell them too quite cheap.

Yep, Hornady or Sinclairs OAL gauge is the best, trying to use those cowboy methods is just doesn't cut it IMO, especially if you use a few different projectiles.
    Also get yourself a set of comparators (or single if you only have a .223) for measuring to the bullet ogive.
    You also need a modified case for the OAL gauge, BRT will thread a fire formed case for you for $20 with is the best fit you can possibly get & better than the Hornady modified case if you are shooting comp!

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      6.90-7.00 bit and a 5/16x36 tap ( can make your own )

I had a nice one made by Mega ( for my 6.5x47 ) I am going to have a go making a few for my other calibers. Now that I see how Mega made mine.
Working...
X