Universal decapping die pin breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal decapping die pin breaking

I have just started usind a Lee universal decapping die in my Lee Loadmaster for 9mm and am resizing in station 2 with the priming, I had about 80 loads done and the decapping pin didn't connect with the flash hole and folded over. I have been using the same method with 45 ACP with no problems. Has anyone had this problem or know the cause / cure?

Originally posted by Colonial Aussie" post=10590
    I have just started usind a Lee universal decapping die in my Lee Loadmaster for 9mm and am resizing in station 2 with the priming, I had about 80 loads done and the decapping pin didn't connect with the flash hole and folded over. I have been using the same method with 45 ACP with no problems. Has anyone had this problem or know the cause / cure?
    Colonial Aussie,
    I broke mine, but centreing a case by hand on too large a shell holder. Was giving away my crap cases to a mate to sell as scrap. He gets a better price with no nickel primers in. Short term, I bought a new complete die, I do have some spares coming to keep as replacemets handy.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Only ever damaged decapping pins when I found a Berdan flash hole. Might want to check it just in case bud.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you sure your trying to push the right size decapping pin through the primer hole?
        Or as shiney says.. Check for Brendan flash holes.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        shineyshooter - No not brendan flash holes
        Ivabiggen - It is a universal decapping die and pin, I deprimed 80 cases until it failed
        I have loosened the locking bolt on the new pin and it has pushed up once in the next 300 cases. It is a universal die so nothing to hold the casse exactly centre to the pin except the shell holder so assuming just not sitting exactly right in the shell holder but loosening off the lock nut lets the pin push through the die instead of breaking if the pin doesn.t find the flash hole. Only 1 more fail in the next 300

I broke a pin like this and couldn't work out how it happened for a while. It turns out the decapping pin was not locked in place securely enough and had begun to wind out of its thread. This small movement was enough to allow the pin to misalign on the downward stroke, miss the flash hole and voila ... a bent pin.

They are cheap to replace but not always easy to find. Just keep the next one locked tight in place and check it every 50 rounds or so until you are sure it ain't ever gonna move again.

Comment

Working...
      X