7mm08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7mm08

Hey guys, does anyone here reload 7mm08? If so is it safe to use .308 cases and run them through the 7mm 08 die? Obviously the head stamp will have .308 on it but that doesn't bother me. 7mm08 brass seems to be hard to find and I would imagine more expensive than .308

You are on the right track. Just start low and work up. A fine cartridge the 7mm-08.
    If you're going through hell, keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Yes I have used .308 cases for many years in my 7mm-08. I would suggest that you buy good quality brass like Lapua. Most of my cases have been reloaded numerous times. If used for hunting 140g pills are ideal along with AR2208. My favourite go to calibre

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        If you want really good brass for your 7mm-08 then look at Lapua 260 rem cases and expand them up to 7mm

Buy yourself a tapered neck expander for your die and lube the inside of the neck well and you should not have any problems.

I tried necking down 308 cases for my 7mm-08 but got uneven necks in some cases that required reaming out.

Those 308 cases also produced necks that were a little thick for my likeing with some of those necks cracking at the 10 to 12 reload point.

I used 243 Lapua cases fireformed to 7mm(before 260 rem was avaliable) and got 25 fireings from them and they were still going strong.

The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge for Aussie game, I have owned 3 of them over the years and it really is a favorite of mine for hunting and targets too.

2209 and Alliant reloader 19 are the best powders to use.

• redfox
        redfox commented
        Editing a comment
        When you use the Lapua .308 brass do you have to mess around with neck turning? or is it just a matter of running it through the full length die and its good to go?

Great little cartridge the 7-08. I find 140gr NBT's with 47.2gr 2209 very good.

Comment

yep I size down lapua brass and neck turn to uniform - then I fire form

the brass you end up with is pretty good

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here.

Steve

http://www.benchrest.com.au/casebulletprep.htm#k-and-m-tools

KMEXP K & M Expanderon Tool (includes one caliber mandrel) $26.00

I use Lapua 260 Rem brass, and the K&M tool. A bit of imperial sizing die wax and expand the neck up. It's a very quick and easy process. No donuts and no annealing needed.

Reloder 17 & 19 are both excellent powders in the 7mm-08 with the 160gr and up projectiles.

I have no problem pushing 162gr Amax or 168gr Berger's to 2800fps with no pressure issues and excellent case life.

I've recently switched to using the Berger 168gr Classic Hunter in both my 7mm-08's with Amax's being thin on the ground.

Run the ballistics on a 600+ BC projectile at 2800fps, it hits things hard and is hot on the heels of factory loaded 7mm Rem Mag.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Dino67" post=12197
          http://www.benchrest.com.au/casebulletprep.htm#k-and-m-tools

KMEXP K & M Expanderon Tool (includes one caliber mandrel) $26.00

I use Lapua 260 Rem brass, and the K&M tool. A bit of imperial sizing die wax and expand the neck up. It's a very quick and easy process. No donuts and no annealing needed.

Reloder 17 & 19 are both excellent powders in the 7mm-08 with the 160gr and up projectiles.

I have no problem pushing 162gr Amax or 168gr Berger's to 2800fps with no pressure issues and excellent case life.

I've recently switched to using the Berger 168gr Classic Hunter in both my 7mm-08's with Amax's being thin on the ground.

Run the ballistics on a 600+ BC projectile at 2800fps, it hits things hard and is hot on the heels of factory loaded 7mm Rem Mag.
          I've switched to the 168gr berger classic hunters and 168gr berger vlds as well. I also learned that you can actually anneal bullets to get them to expand at 1400fps - this turns the 7mm08 into a legitimate 950m cartridge for hunting in my gun!

I can only drive the vlds 2620fps accurately - still shot out to 1km fine though. The more I shoot the 7mm08 the more I think it might be the perfect all round cartridge for Australia
      Working...
      X