Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deformed projs

Hi,

Im new to casting and have a Lee 100gr SWC mold. My first batch came out ok but my second attempt all the projectiles look a little deformed and the lube grooves don't look right. Can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong? Pictured below left is 1st batch which i thought was ok and next to it the latest batch.

Originally posted by Kav" post=43654
    Hi,

Im new to casting and have a Lee 100gr SWC mold. My first batch came out ok but my second attempt all the projectiles look a little deformed and the lube grooves don't look right. Can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong? Pictured below left is 1st batch which i thought was ok and next to it the latest batch.

Your mould is not warmed up enough. Keep casting until it casts clean, let it cool when they are "frosted".

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Oddball

Hi Kav,
    1st attempt looks good, (but waaaaaaay too much alox)
    Try thinning your alox with mineral spirits or even turps or metho for a nice even coat.
    Less is More with this stuff, you should just barely be able to notice the fine layer once they dry

The 2nd one (obviously) hasn't filled out the mold properly
    This can be from the mold or the melt not hot enough but without knowing what's in your alloy it's hard to say for sure.
    You could try adding a little tin which helps the fluidity of the alloy and therefore it flows more evenly into the nooks & crannies.
    Plumber's solder is an easy source of tin, and as little as 2% is all you need to add.
    Also run the melt a bit hotter, and if necessary hold the corner of the mold in the melt for a few seconds.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks I'm using WW ill melt them all down again and give it another go

Had you given the lead time to set or the mold to cool abit? Looks like it's slumping to me from being still liquid/soft when it drops out the mold as the grease grooves and tip don't look like they'd fit back into the mold they fell from.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah thought i did but maybe i was dropping them to quick.

Oddball 's on the money needs more heat in mould, I use to pre heat on a gas ring, once you get into it you'll get the hang of it. Watch your temperatures, "not hot enough or too hot" Good luck

Comment

A good reference book is the "Lyman cast bullet handbook".

Comment

Working...
      X