Hi-Tek bullet coating... Where to purchase in Oz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Tek bullet coating... Where to purchase in Oz?

So, this coating apparently originates from Australia... but I will be damned if I can actually find it online.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I would rather buy the stuff ready to go, instead of mixing up HBN and 2k Epoxy to make my own.

Cheers.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?162673-Coatings-for-Hard-Cast-projectiles
    mate have a look here it might help you contact him

Comment

Head over to here for some more info Link

There was a thread on the old site by glock40 I think. He is the same guy as the Ausglock on the castboolits site.
      I have been waiting for them to release it to the home caster.

Comment

Got in touch with them today, price was more reasonable than I expected. Hope to be testing it in the next few weeks, just need to find a oven and some trays. Glock have you got any tips on trays?

Comment

• glock40sw
        glock40sw commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by sigman" post=18985
        Got in touch with them today, price was more reasonable than I expected. Hope to be testing it in the next few weeks, just need to find a oven and some trays. Glock have you got any tips on trays?
        Sigman.
        I use a Heller 48Litre convection oven. I got it from Ebay. Seller in Melbourne.
        My trays are stainless perforated plate bend into 300x300mm with a 10mm side all round.

Glock are perforated stainless essential or can I get by with non perforated stainless or plain baking trays?

Comment

• glock40sw
        glock40sw commented
        Editing a comment
        You need anything that will allow air flow all around the bullets. Solid trays do not work.
        The fine mesh security screen stuff will work too.
        I use perf stainless cause my mate has a sheetmetal bussiness and had some lying around.

Interesting write up guys, look forward to seeing some test results.
      Regards Peter.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        the goods arrived fellas

Received my order today, so testing in a few days, looking forward to see some good results.

Comment

First test today, results look like store bought, very happy
        Big thanks to Glock for all the tips.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I did a batch today and ruined about 500 bullets... melting them back down tomorrow and might try again.

Not sure what went wrong, but perhaps I rushed it. I would love to see this product come out in the future in the powdered form.

Had a crappy casting day today... everything went wrong. Better luck tomorrow hopefully.

Please send me a breakdown of what seemed to go wrong.

Comment

Vman try big w ,the good guys or e bay if you can wait for the oven, I couldn't get any perforated metal or mesh for a decent price so I got some $5 baking trays screwed them to some wood and went mental with a pedestal drill took probably an hour but they seem to work well. Better luck next time, can you let us all know what happened so we can try to avoid the same .

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Just a possibility, some have used the mesh as used for Gutter Guards (Metal)
            Simply cut a length into sizes you need with Tin Snips, and fold up edges as required.
            As small trays are needed generally, they will be strong enough to support a hundred or so coated projectiles.
            One length of Gutter Guard should give about two or 3 trays depending on size required..

Hmmm, green not much good for rifles , just finished coating 30for to test through the 30-30, im only running light traillboss loads so I might put some of my wax lube in the bands just in case. Has anybody tried wax in combination with the coating? The wax used to work at the low speed so it should be fine but will let you guys know if things dont work. Was also planning on running the coated 30s through the 308 at subsonic speed may have to get another colour sooner than expected.

Comment

• glock40sw
            glock40sw commented
            Editing a comment
            Nobody said that the green was no good in rifles.

I have coated with green for 30/30 for a mate with no gas check and it ran fine.

Now if you were coating for 22/250, 25/06, 300 win mag or 338 Lapua, them that would be a different story.
            If you are going to grease the bastards, you may as well not Hitek coat.
            grease, wax, dogshit, frogsnort, birdcum on a coated bullet is a waste of coating.

I can't speak for the black as i have only used the blue green with good results and followed glocks instruction to the letter. My results look like this
          Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the "Non dangerous Goods" coating will be a huge hit!

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by sigman" post=31028
            I can't speak for the black as i have only used the blue green with good results and followed glocks instruction to the letter. My results look like this
            Very nice about the best results I've seen.
            How many coats?

Vman they are looking good now. Did you use the same process and same oven? The green is nice but I wouldn't mind a blue like before cooking, might have to get in touch with joe to see if any blue is available.

Comment

• glock40sw
            glock40sw commented
            Editing a comment
            Blue... yeah.. hahahaha.. forget blue. We just can't get a blue to stay blue. Blue is the holy grail.
            I have tried over 12 blues and so far none have stayed what you would call blue.
            Most go black and some fail to bake.
            I currently have Joe working on a lime green.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by sigman" post=31350
            Vman they are looking good now. Did you use the same process and same oven? The green is nice but I wouldn't mind a blue like before cooking, might have to get in touch with joe to see if any blue is available.
            Same process, but probably paid closer attention to what I was doing. I still need to try again with the black.

Thin coats are the key smooth coats. The application on the other hand, seems to be the big player with regard to "splotchy" appearance...

Now me being so anal/OCD has got me thinking... Can this stuff be safely airbrushed on without ruining the airbrush? I have some expensive air brushes and would not want to ruin them... but yeah i think if i can airbrush this stuff on, on standing bullets, and then hair dry, and then bake.... the coating will come out mint. The question is if the mix will stay in a suspension in the airbrush and also if I can easily clean the mix out after without ruining the airbrush or needles.

Vman try a different oven that may be the cause although the greens looked good. Perhaps the glass is too well sealed or something.

Comment

Anyone in Hobart here looking for an oven?

New 48l Heller available at a major retailer on clearance for $40!
            PM me for details.
            "Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived."
            Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Seems like a good deal to me. If I was in Hobart I would put my hand up.
          Working...
          X