Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas checks

Aluminium vs copper gas checks, does anyone have any opinions either way

Can only say copper have always done what I wanted so haven't felt the need to change.

Comment

I was gifted some aluminum checks from sage outdoors in .30 calibre. They certainly stayed on through sizing and all the way to the target as I dug them out of the backstop. They do seem a little more rounded on the base when crimped on than copper. There is a theoretical concern about how hard aluminium oxide is on a bore, doesn't worry me.

I have some purchased copper checks, crimp on well and also stay on all the way to the target. They are the more traditional option but are more expensive.
      I have not done a head to head accuracy comparison as my copper and aluminium are in different calibres.

Comment

I make my own aluminium gas checks and some times use commercial copper gas checks. It may be just me but I cannot tell the difference, except in the hip Pocket.
        I use aluminium roof flashing and get about 15-20,000 depending on calibre. It costs about $20 for a roll of aluminium...
        45-70 Government. The only Government I trust........................Period.

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been looking at aluminium gas checks. Pat Marlins in the usa (http://www.patmarlins.com/Checkmaker%AA_Prices_and_Ord.html) makes a tool to cut checks for plain base bullets from just about anything including beer cans. Recycling beer cans as bullet bases appeals to me. Sorry wife I must get another slab to make more gas checks
          Regards Browndog

I have some 'drink-can' aluminium ones that I got given for the 9mm/38 cal pistol rounds.
        The reccomendation was that they are thin enough to allow them to be used on even a plain flat based bullet to allow greater velocities. I found that they were too thin to crimp properly onto recessed base bulets and they wouldn't stay on.
        I used some on some 122g flat point conicals loaded in 357 mag cases with 6.9g of Winchester 540, and found that the accuracy was better without them. I was finding used checks on the ground between the gun & the targets.
        Personally I have had much greater success with traditional copper gas checks, despite the extra cost.

Comment

I tried using gas checks on cast projectiles from Hawksbury River in .303.
          I found that it was not successful and I could not hit an A4 sheet of paper at 50m. In the end I went without the gas checks and kept the velocity below 1600 f/sec.
          Accuracy was fine up to 200m but beyond they weren't hitting the target to my liking.
          They were good for close range scrub work and cheap.
          Just my experience with my equipment.

Comment

Working...
          X