208g Amax in the 30-06 - updated with chrono data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 208g Amax in the 30-06 - updated with chrono data

Someone has given me a few 208g Amax bullets to try in my 30-06. The intended use is mainly hunting but I might look at banging a few gongs for fun.

I would like to think I could get 2600-ish fps out of the 24 inch barrel of my stainless Zastava.

So has anyone loaded the big Amax in the 30-06 and if so what were your results?

I am thinking Ar2209 or 2213 would be the go but leaning towards 2209 at this stage.

Thanks.

- Bob

2209 is to fast imo. 2213sc , rel 17 & even rel22 would be better.
    Your twist rate may play a part as well .
    Mark
    Tikka T3X 6XC
    Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
    Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
    Remington 788 - 222rem
    Browning Trombone .22

Comment

• bobnob
      bobnob commented
      Editing a comment
      1-10 twist.

Have loaded a test ladder with 2209, should get to shoot them in the next couple days. Will report back.

If 2209 maxes out I will try some 2213.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Pitty" post=6685
      2209 is to fast imo. 2213sc , rel 17 & even rel22 would be better.
      Your twist rate may play a part as well .
      Mark
      What Mark said, 2213sc is the pick of them RL17 is good as well but temp sensitive with 208s you should be able to push them up to around 2800 out of a 30-06.

Ok so I got out this morning and shot some of these 208g Amaxes at 100y over the chrony.

Being a little short on bullets I loaded up a simple 5 shot test ladder, going up one grain at a time.

NOTE: SOME OF THESE LOADS ARE OVER ADI RECOMMENDED MAXIMUM SO DON'T USE THEM UNLESS YOU ARE ABLE TO SUCK UP THE PHYSICAL, LEGAL AND MORAL CONSEQUENCES OF OVERDOING IT.

So the load details were: 208g Amax, R-P brass, CCI std LR primers, oal 3.33in, powder Ar2209.

1. 51g - 2459fps
    2. 52g - 2488fps
    3. 53g - 2522fps
    4. 54g - 2592fps
    5. 55g - 2672fps

The 5 shots printed upwards with each shot as you'd expect, except shot 5 which printed down near the 3rd one. Here's the target...

Horizontal dispersal was only 1.3 inches - not bad for a mug shot shooting prone over rolled up towels for a rest.

I started getting a little flattening of the primers on shots 4 and 5 but all in all they seemed mild enough. Certainly nothing in the way of sticky bolt or anything you wouldn't expect with a normal factory load.

Shots 1 to 5 left to right...

Anyway its just data at this point. I might load some up around 53.5 to 54.0g and shoot for groups and see what the average speeds are.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Just went out and shot a quick five shot group with this combo.

With 54.0g of Ar2209, I got a 5 shot average of 2604fps. This load appears relatively mild. There's certainly no stiff bolt lift, marks on the case head or squished primers. And it doesn't kick any worse than my 180g loads which are doing around 2800fps.

While its only one group and a lot more testing needs to be done, the result was a modest 1.85 inch group at 105 yards.

Anyway there's enough encouragement there to press on with more testing. I only had 12 of these bullets kindly donated by a fellow forum member so I will spring for a box of 100 and see what I can do with seating depth and or maybe some Ar2213.

As it is this load will carry 2000f/lb of energy out to 400y so if can get it to shoot just a little more tightly, I might have a genuine mid to long range hunting load going here.

Regards,
      Bob

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been toying with getting a 30-06 and came across this article which you may find interesting.

The all round .30-06

Link failed...I'll try again.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• roger68
        roger68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Mate look up match rifle shooting, we use 208 amax, 210 sierras and 200 grain sierras in 308s, primarily use ar2208 and ar2209, 1:10 twist barrels all be it they are a bit longer, I wont quote any loads but what you were stating were a bit predestrian. Dont be afraid to work your loads up slowly.

Link

Accuracy Secrets Of The .30-06
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Out of interest I ran this load through an external ballistics calculator. Its carrying some good energy way out...

]

Comment

• Pody
          Pody commented
          Editing a comment
          Love my 06 shoots like stink with 165TTSX's

Originally posted by bobnob" post=5445
        The intended use is mainly hunting but I might look at banging a few gongs for fun.
        - Bob
        I was under the understanding that they were a target bullet and not a hunting/game bullet. There is plenty of more sensilbe hunting bullets out there and consider the ranges are hunting at for velocity to case expansion.... Definitely not Barnes or something when a heavy weight and very slow velocity

Good luck with your A-max quest otherwise

Comment

• bobnob
          bobnob commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Dan_351" post=27771
          Originally posted by bobnob" post=5445
          The intended use is mainly hunting but I might look at banging a few gongs for fun.
          - Bob
          I was under the understanding that they were a target bullet and not a hunting/game bullet. There is plenty of more sensilbe hunting bullets out there and consider the ranges are hunting at for velocity to case expansion.... Definitely not Barnes or something when a heavy weight and very slow velocity

Good luck with your A-max quest otherwise
          Dan thanks for chipping in mate.

Yes that issue is something I have considered, and there are arguments all over the place as to whether they should be used for hunting. The internet forums are rife with them; there was a humdinger on shooting.com.au a few months ago about it which was both edifying and stoooopid in parts.

The balance seems to come down on the side of them actually being quite good for hunting. In any case I am willing to give them a try on the pigs and deer and goats provided I can get them to shoot nice and accurately. A 208g, 30 cal bullet doing between 2000 and 2600fps at impact is hardly likely to fly apart on the hide and with lead core and a plastic tip it should expand at least a bit. When I do get after the pigs with them I will certainly report my results.

As I said above though, that's on the proviso I can get them to shoot accurately. I have just had a big move and the shooting is just on the back burner for a little while. There might be a chance to go out and shoot some groups later this month however, with a little luck I will have some more results to post.
      Working...
      X