This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballistic Calculator Download

This Ballistic Calculator is provided to the Forum by member BlueBikesBlackGuns

BBBG_Ballistics_Calc_2013-09-11-2.xls

Please feel free to post any thanks to BBBG or anything you would like to share about using the resource he has provided

Cheers

Anthony

That's pretty cool. I was just about to ask if anyone could tell me how far my bullet would stay supersonic for. But now I don't have to. Thanks BBBG.

Comment

I used this yesterday at belmont to help get me on the paper with the omark at 300&400m. It worked an absolute treat. Of course I had to fine tune the scope but it got me to within 4" @ 300 & 6" @ 400m. It's definitely worth a look if like me your just starting to shoot longer distances with a new rifle.

Comment

• BlueBikesBlackGuns
        BlueBikesBlackGuns commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Scottmatt,

Glad to see your finding this useful. Did you chronograph your rifle or estimate the velocity?

Also gyroscopic drift "spin drift" is not included in this calculation and I am thinking I need to include it as i have found this can add a good 1 MOA (10" at 915m for my rifle).

Very nice!

Much appreciated

Comment

• Varmtr
        Varmtr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks BBBG & S12A

Quick one what profile is the BC calculated on eg G1 or G7 etc.

Cheers

Many thanks for posting the calculator.
      Regards,
      spazzo22250

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Gday fellas,

Am I looking at bullet path or total drop for my trajectory on the ballistic table.

Example I entered 200yd zero for my .204 and it states,

Bullet Drop -5.1" at 200 yd
        Bullet path 0.0 at 200 yd

Little confused.....

cheers....

An easy way to measure correct scope height in a bolt action is to measure the diameter of the bolt and the scope tube , halve them both and then add the product together . Then measure between the bottom of the scope tube and the top of the bolt and add that to the product found above .
      In an Auto or slide action pull the bolt back and measure from the firing pin hole to the bottom of the scope with calipers or dividers and then measure them with a rule or better a digital vernier. Then add that to half the scope tube diameter . Gets pretty close .

Comment

Rather than start a new topic as it relates to this ballistic software, I will ask my question here.

The program gives me the desired bullet drop and MOA at that distance but I am trying to actually work out how many click values in elevation I will need at that distance. I have a Nightforce NXS with 0.250moa turrets with 100MOA elevation. I understand the basics of MOA being 1.047" Of elevation at 100yds. that is 1 out 360 degrees rise at that distance.

Example I will use is from my .204.

With a 100 yd zero the program tells me that my bullet drop is -5.87" or 1.86MOA at 300yds. I want to know how many clicks of elevation on my scope that is.

I have made an attempt at the answer based on a .250" value turret, which is probably wrong

1. 4 clicks for every minute no matter what the yardage.

5.87" drop @ 300 yds = X (X) =3
        3 into 5.87" = 1.946
        1.946 x 4 = 7.784 clicks at 300 yds.... In this case I would elevate 8 clicks and hold on the bottom half of the rabbits head....

Am I even close in being right

Cheers fellas....

Comment

• S12A
          S12A commented
          Editing a comment
          gday Butta9999 ,

that's a pretty backwards way to go about shooting long range
          the drop in inches is more or less just an FYI for clearance of obstacles etc in the bullets path
          the drop in moa is constant, being an angular measurement not a linear measurement like inches.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3_2014-05-04.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	101202

so to answer the question with .25moa per click to dial 1.86 MOA you would need to choose 1.75.MOA or 2MOA on your turret.
          your Turret is marked in MOA and not numbers of clicks, if it is not marked in that manner than it's the wrong scope for the job (dialing elevation corrections)

the best thing to do is forget this whole clicks and inches business and read MOA as MOA and dial the correction accordingly in 1/4MOA on your turrets.

Originally posted by butta9999" post=93559
          Rather than start a new topic as it relates to this ballistic software, I will ask my question here.

The program gives me the desired bullet drop and MOA at that distance but I am trying to actually work out how many click values in elevation I will need at that distance. I have a Nightforce NXS with 0.250moa turrets with 100MOA elevation. I understand the basics of MOA being 1.047" Of elevation at 100yds. that is 1 out 360 degrees rise at that distance.

Example I will use is from my .204.

With a 100 yd zero the program tells me that my bullet drop is -5.87" or 1.86MOA at 300yds. I want to know how many clicks of elevation on my scope that is.

I have made an attempt at the answer based on a .250" value turret, which is probably wrong

1. 4 clicks for every minute no matter what the yardage.

5.87" drop @ 300 yds = X (X) =3
          3 into 5.87" = 1.946
          1.946 x 4 = 7.784 clicks at 300 yds.... In this case I would elevate 8 clicks and hold on the bottom half of the rabbits head....

Am I even close in being right

Cheers fellas....

+10 - Sounds like you put a lot of effort into the BC programme BBBC - well done mate and thanks for sharing, no doubt all the other fella's who know how to use em will find it invaluable.

I'm old school - I don't use ballistic programmes to work out what's going on at the pointy end, I generally set up targets at 100, 200, 300 and sometimes 400m, shoot a few shots and work out the drop etc from those results, write em down and work out how many click adjustments/holdover/hold off etc that's needed for each range, write that down on a card and stick it to the stock or flip up caps etc.

I like keeping things simple (all those calculations etc just hurt my head these days)
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Thanks for the download.
          “The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

"Law and order break down as a direct result of placing political correctness above equity and truth" Mark Jenkins

Comment

thank you BBBG, yet another useful tool to help understand this oh so complex sport

cheers
            Akis

Comment

Working...
            X