"New Nosler Accubond Long Range!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New Nosler Accubond Long Range!

There has been a lot of talk about these for a while now and my hunting mate in NZ finally got hold of a few boxes and has been testing them over the last few weeks. Now Nosler have always had a bit of a reputation for some pretty loose figures when it comes to there reported BC's and this bullet in 270 cal 150gr has a supposed BC of .625 which had everybody very excited ... Well after a 100 odd rounds and tested over 2 different crony's my mates field Data has them a .598 so pretty close and still a very very good BC.......... Time to get the .270 back out of the safe and get some load development underway !!

Whoops stuffed up guys thought i was in Ballistics..... Can someone put this there?

FT

Yeh that's why i was ringing him to see what he was doing now that he couldn't get the 162's , He's dead keen to get some of the 7mm ones but there's none around atm so he tried the .270 and was very happy , dropped a nice pig at over 700m as a final test and didn't like the way it expanded at slower speeds as compared to the Amax but he's not prepared to write them of yet. He'll shoot a few more pigs and goats and even a Red or 2 way out then maybe do an article.

FT

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      What are they worth FT?
      I use SST's in my .270 & they are great, come in at 44c each.
      I'd guess they would be around 55c each??

Originally posted by findingtime" post=1069
    There has been a lot of talk about these for a while now and my hunting mate in NZ finally got hold of a few boxes and has been testing them over the last few weeks. Now Nosler have always had a bit of a reputation for some pretty loose figures when it comes to there reported BC's and this bullet in 270 cal 150gr has a supposed BC of .625 which had everybody very excited ... Well after a 100 odd rounds and tested over 2 different crony's my mates field Data has them a .598 so pretty close and still a very very good BC.......... Time to get the .270 back out of the safe and get some load development underway !!

Whoops stuffed up guys thought i was in Ballistics..... Can someone put this there?

FT

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
      SmoothOperator_87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by SmoothOperator_87" post=9355
      Originally posted by findingtime" post=1069

FT
      Great just what the 270 needed for So long, when do you start?

I am keen to give these a whirl too. The 150g versions in the 270 Win should be able to be driven up to 3000fps without too much trouble which makes them an interesting prospect.

I am also keen to try the 190g version in my 30-06. About 2800fps at the muzzle should make them carry the mail way out there.

From the accounts I am reading they are fairly soft so they expand well, but also hold together well too. This is ideal for a hunting bullet IMO unless you are shooting something that weighs a ton and can stomp you.

Comment

Personally I reckon a 270 Wby with a 1-9 or faster twist would be the ducks guts. Those long Matrix 175s for long range stuff, and those big Woodleigh 180 grain PPs for the real big stuff.

Either of those big fellas at 2900+ fps would take some beating.

Comment

No single BC can describe a trajectory well . Every projectile in it's trajectory has numerous BC's along it's trajectory path in velocity steps as calculated by a ballistic program . So some bullet manufacturers choose to quote the average BC of many BC's taken at the different velocity steps . This is more accurate overall .
        Others choose to quote the one single highest number in the BC array for sales purposes and mainly a G1 drag function even if the bullets shape does not match the G1 curve .
        Now that bullet would not be a G1 drag function more like a G7 so if you recalculated using G7 drag function then the real G7 BC figure would be an even less impressive number so they prefer to quote G1 .
        What you could be seeing in your Chronograph calculations is the difference between the average BC and the single highest one they like to quote in the array .

Comment

• findingtime
          findingtime commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Happy jack" post=9623
          No single BC can describe a trajectory well . Every projectile in it's trajectory has numerous BC's along it's trajectory path in velocity steps as calculated by a ballistic program . So some bullet manufacturers choose to quote the average BC of many BC's taken at the different velocity steps . This is more accurate overall .
          Others choose to quote the one single highest number in the BC array for sales purposes and mainly a G1 drag function even if the bullets shape does not match the G1 curve .
          Now that bullet would not be a G1 drag function more like a G7 so if you recalculated using G7 drag function then the real G7 BC figure would be an even less impressive number so they prefer to quote G1 .
          What you could be seeing in your Chronograph calculations is the difference between the average BC and the single highest one they like to quote in the array .

Whilst all of that is True HJ the figure he came up with is the figure you'll need to enter into your ballistics software to get it hitting the right height at the right distance. If you enter Noslers BC you'll be low all he did was shoot that projectile at 200m,400m,600m, 800m and 1000m and fiddle the BC until he had the software agreeing with his real world data and then quoting that as the bullets BC. I do this every time i use new bullets anyway you have to test the software against what's really happening , then you really know where you are.

FT
      Working...
      X