243 projectile recomendations for long range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 243 projectile recomendations for long range

Looking for some recommendations for 243 projectile for accurately killing paper out to 900yds.
    Standard VLS 243 26 inch barrel
    what works best for some ?.
    [center]
    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

87gr vmax is probably the pick of them I’d say

Comment

90 grn Lapua Scenar will work.

95 grn Sierra Matchkings did not in a 1 in 10 twist barrel for me
      This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

how about 105 lapua senar ? I have some and the barrel is one in 9 by 26 inch HB VSL Remington ...Is it worth trying ? .
      What load if I use winnie cases ? and say 2209.
      Is 2208 worth a go
      [center]
      Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Shooting a 109 berger Hybrid in my 6XC , but thats a 1 in 8 twist. My 6mm rem has a 1 in 9 & can stabilize 100gr max.
        Only using Alliant powder.

Tikka T3X 6XC
        Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
        Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
        Remington 788 - 222rem
        Browning Trombone .22

Comment

yep its all going to be a try and see thing ....
          Lapua might work ......here`s hoping

If not there will be a couple boxes for sale or swap for some thing a bit lighter/

NOPE no good at & 700 yds just wont stabilse.......shotgun group.

Thanks for all help so far ...
          NoFerals
          Paid Member
          Last edited by NoFerals; 04-12-2021, 12:51 PM.
          [center]

Comment

Up Date > Nosler 95 grn on top of 44 grns of 2209 works @ 800 yds.
            No pressure signs 59 with 7 x 800 yds > reasonable weather > but of mirage all good.

87 Hdy V max on 43.7 2209 not as good still needs work.....close @ 49 with 5 , Hollow group.
            [center]

Comment

So the old .243 holds a good group at 800 on a mild day.

Be good to know how far it will go.
              Are you going to try it further?

Comment

Yes I will try 900 yds but is the limit of our range here Magoo......Pity as there`s a few blokes who would go out further with 7 mm / 284s or whatever but you need half a can of powder to drive them and it does get expensive.
                6 mm suits me fine , Am of an age where I might break a shoulder if I went any harder.

Also theres alot to like about the precision of some of those smaller rifles if you get them shooting properly.
                I would have liked the 223 But they stuffed up my order with shipping and such so settled on the 243 but a 223 would have been great even in a one in eight barrel it would go 800 yds ok.
                Anything up to 300/400 yds with lighter and faster pills would be magic.
                Xmas is on the horizon too .
                NoFerals
                Paid Member
                Last edited by NoFerals; 11-12-2021, 09:08 PM.
                [center]

Comment

Yeah, they do some amazing shooting with the 6mm BR, and a younger bloke used to turn up and show the old f-class hands how to do it with his 6mm Creedmoor.
                  I asked how far he had shot it and he said 800 or 1,000, can't remember now.

Comment

Originally posted by NoFerals View Post
                    Yes... Anything up to 300/400 yds with lighter and faster pills would be magic.
                    80 grn pills are the optimum weight for this size caliber at it’s optimum distance... Being 300 - 500M.

’Tockelys’ like to differentiate because all they really do is ‘lob’ shit beyond optimal ranges, to ‘key hole’ on impractical targets, with impractical calibres for over stretched ranges... Because they think it’s a practical type of shooting.

When in fact. It’s just... ?

P.S. Fun fact... In ‘E-Meri-Cee’ where the tactical paper punching comps were invented and are a real deal. The .243 was the ‘darling of the show’ for 80% of most competitors... Until recent times.

Here down under ‘F’’ wit class shooters take the round to a whole new level.

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Originally posted by HERNE View Post

80 grn pills are the optimum weight for this size caliber at it’s optimum distance... Being 300 - 500M.

’Tockelys’ like to differentiate because all they really do is ‘lob’ shit beyond optimal ranges, to ‘key hole’ on impractical targets, with impractical calibres for over stretched ranges... Because they think it’s a practical type of shooting.

When in fact. It’s just... ?

Good stuff I agree particularly on the LOB SHIT at ridiculous ranges.
                      The trick is to lob shit in the same place each time lol.

[center]

Comment

Lobbin’ shit in the same place Dave can be be like ‘gobbin’ Shit too...

I hope this ends up in the same place mate... Coz, shootin’ in ‘Straya’ is definitely headin’ in the way of ‘Genuine use of owning’...

’Key-holing’, no matter what... Will not be one.

Sorry mate... Never was in times gone.
                        "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

I don't think the Fclass blokes are keyholing but I don't get it.

Special fast twist .223 barrel to shoot the much more exy heavy projies to make the .223 shoot further than it should.

For me, 223 is for small game and cheap target shooting at 223 ranges with 55gr 18c pills.
                          Under about 400yd for me.

Comment

‘Magoo’. You know those ‘walks’ you do ? Often with not much reward ... You keep at ‘em ay.

Comment

Working...
                            X