.30-06ai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .30-06ai

I have a .308 F-Class rifle built on a Remington 700 long action with a 30" barrel.
    I'm not that impressed with the combo so am considering reverting the rifle back to a long range steel gong shooting rig.

To get a bit of extra performance I am considering having reamed out to .30-06ai so that I can push the heavier bullets without having to go to all the expense of changing out the bolt face to fit a .300 win mag.

Anyone have any experience with the .30-06ai in a long barrelled rifle? Worth doing?

Why don't you get a normal one....ask this bloke.

Accuracy Secrets Of The .30-06
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• CE
      CE commented
      Editing a comment
      Because he wants to push the bullets a bit faster which is important at long range.

i cant see why it wouldn't be worth doing.
    easy way of up'ing the performance of it.
    only one way to find out.

Comment

Norm, by all means go for it. I reckon its a good idea. Of course you will not get 300WM performance but with that long barrel you are going to get fine performance indeed.

You have a long action anyway so why not get the extra powder capacity of the 30-06.

I think the novelty of the 30-06 AI is interesting. I suspect the real net effect of AI'ing that round will be only about 100fps but if it means your brass won't stretch as much etc, why not?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Got the reamer on order. Now the wait begins.
        It will be interesting to see how the .30-06ai goes with the heavies out of the 30" tube.
        Its got a 12 twist barrel so I will have to look at how heavy a bullet will stabilize.

can you run the same reamer in your 30.06 die?
      or does it require new dies?

Comment

Hmmm, if something like the 208g Amax stabilises, 2850fps should be easily achieved in the long barrel. I got near 2700fps with no worries in my standard 30-06 with only a 24 inch barrel.

Maybe near 3000fps even with the right powder. R22 seems a likely prospect.

Can you keep us updated when you get it together?

Comment

Working...
        X