300 Win Mag Vs 300 WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 Win Mag Vs 300 WSM

Hi guys and gals, I am getting a custom rifle build soon and I am stuck picking between 300 win mag or 300 WSM. I know with the 300 WSM you can use a short action and the brass is a little cheaper and easier to get a hold of for the 300 win mag. Could I get some advice please? Also just how available is 300 WSM brass here in AUS?

Cheers.
    Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Originally posted by Jason Lefty" post=39874
    Hi guys and gals, I am getting a custom rifle build soon and I am stuck picking between 300 win mag or 300 WSM. I know with the 300 WSM you can use a short action and the brass is a little cheaper and easier to get a hold of for the 300 win mag. Could I get some advice please? Also just how available is 300 WSM brass here in AUS?

Cheers.
    .300 WSM get's the job done the same as the .300 win mag ( but it burn's less juice, then big brother )

Comment

• Jason Lefty
      Jason Lefty commented
      Editing a comment
      .300 WSM get's the job done the same as the .300 win mag ( but it burn's less juice, then big brother )

Never thought of that, spend a bit more on brass but save on a bit on powder.

Id say that the 300wsm brass is as available as the 300wm . Personally I have a 300wm and love it . If you plan on shooting 150-190gr rounds then go a 300wsm it will do it more efficient and tad more fps .
    If you want to shoot heavy like I do
    208gr Amax / 210 bergers vld then a 300wm is the winner . More powder wins most times.
    Something that the short mag anoys me about is the lost magazine capacity due to the fat design .

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by M77" post=39895
      Id say that the 300wsm brass is as available as the 300wm . Personally I have a 300wm and love it . If you plan on shooting 150-190gr rounds then go a 300wsm it will do it more efficient and tad more fps .
      If you want to shoot heavy like I do
      208gr Amax / 210 bergers vld then a 300wm is the winner . More powder wins most times.
      Something that the short mag anoys me about is the lost magazine capacity due to the fat design .
      I went 300 Win mag for Magazine capacity and the ability to use accuracy Int. Magazines, I Use 210 bergers driven at 3000fps, I Love it. As said by M77, WM wins on Raw case capacity, but wsm is a more efficient design so it comes down to the little things and personal preference over those little things. for me it was AICS mags

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      300 RUM as an option?

300 RUM? as far as I can see, the RUM was the answer to a question that never needed to be asked.

To the OP, go for the WinMag. Its a baby to shoot and 4 in the mag is a nice addition.

Comment

It's pretty much six and half-dozen the other.

I've got a 300WM... the boss has a 300WSM. They both go bang in a big way and are super accurate. If anything, my Sako feels like it kicks harder than his Mannlicher, but it may just be my imagination due to the less-than-ideal eye relief on my WM's scope.

You'd think that Win Mag would be more prevalent than WSM though every shop I've poked my head in has had both in stock (though not necessarily in the right projectile weight).

I suppose if you reload the decision might come down to your personal preferences. WM has a short neck and not everyone likes the old style rimmed design. And then there's powder capacity difference to consider, as others have mentioned.

Really the question is - do you like short and fat - or tall and slender?

300WinMag baby - the supermodel of the cartridge world. Tall, slender, sexy and will beat you silly if you disrespect it!

Cheers, Ben.

Comment

will the wsm fit in a medium action?
        or does it still need a long action?

(on average)

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          One of the reasons that the WSM's apeal to me is for a similar reasoning to the 6BR........Inherant accuracy.
          Or at the very least, easy tuning.

The other, which kinda goes hand in hand is efficiency as others have stated.

Dunno what it is but all those long Magnum cases just really turn me off, particularily the 30-06.
          It's like the typical meat head stereo type...........Ohhhhh, mines bigger so it must be better..............I think it's just compensating really
          A good handload in a 308 can wipe a factory 30-06's ass with it's ballistics. Simply because of the inefficiency of the overly long powder column.

Maybe I do just like e'm short & fat?

Mick.

What you mean no Ladies rifle?

Ill admit that at the last Canberra tactical match my lady partner shot my 300 win mag and was drilling the spotting disk from 800m. And was nothing but big cheezy grin at the end of it all

Comment

• Jason Lefty
          Jason Lefty commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the reply's guys, still so confused on what to pick. I am leaning towards the 300wm because of the higher capacity mags and heavy pills.

good on her.

(no sarcasm intended)

Comment

here she is with 308

Comment

Lefty,

I bought a 300WSM for hunting sambar and it's always done everything I've asked of it. Now that I'm in the territory it gets a workout on large ferals like camels, donkeys etc and is a good performer. My only complaint is that in a short action, you are restricted in COAL because of the magazine length. I cannot seat 180gn pills to the maximum recommended COAL, unless I want to single load, which for a hunting rifle is obviously not on. I will shortly be trying an aftermarket extended magazine box, which will need the action machined to fit. Lot of mucking around when you could just use a long action in the first place.
            If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

Comment

Cheers.
              Red herring ...I've had all the 300's more than once. If you're building a custom job, and the action suits, go Dakota.

Comment

• bobnob
                bobnob commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Sarge" post=55096

Cheers.
                Red herring ...I've had all the 300's more than once. If you're building a custom job, and the action suits, go Dakota.
                Why? Not a cartridge with any real support in this country.

Interested to hear about you experiences with the Dakota Sarge. I've never even seen one.

So what is this rifle going to be used for?

Hunting: get either the 300WSM or the 300WM. where I am the 300WSM brass is around half the price of the 300WM.

LongRange: IMO the 7mmWSM is where it's at.

Comment

Working...
              X