Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reccommended .308 factory ammo

Hi Guys,

I have a marlin bolt action X7VH rifle in .308WIN, custom camo stock and a Bushnell XLT 6-18 x 50 scope. I have been using various factory .308WIN ammo. But havent really had much of a chance to get out the farm and get something out to long range and see how she goes. Its a bit confined in the range I also shoot at so any type of ammo looks good on paper! I guess it will be maily used for medium game, foxes, pigs and goats. I want to get it accurate out to about 300m. Would be good to draw on the knowlegde of everyone out there as to what factory ammo would be suitable for me before I get into reloading my own brass and developing loads that would be suitable for me. Any information would be greatly appreciated, again I just want info on any factory ammo people are willing to recommend as I dont have any reloading gear yet.

Thanks
    Blake85

Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	51534

Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	51535

Quite simple.

Get some NRAA .308W ammo from your nearest fullbore club/association.

It's reasonably cheap, and available with 155gn match projectiles. Pretty much the best factory ammo you'll be able to buy, and excellent value for money.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Mauser98" post=39590
      Quite simple.

It's reasonably cheap, and available with 155gn match projectiles. Pretty much the best factory ammo you'll be able to buy, and excellent value for money.
      Not the best hunting projectile though....

To the OP, what game?

Either way here is some suggestions:

130gn HP light skinned game and medium pigs
      150gn SP Pigs, deer
      180gn SP Sambar Deer

Not absolutes but a sime guide.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Quite simple.

Thanks for that Mauser98, when I get home from work, will enquire and see what I can find out!

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Quite simple.

I agree it's cheap but i certainly don't agree with the rest of the statement, Blackhills, Federal and Lapua match ammo is way out in front of the NRAA ammo but unfortunately almost 3 times the price

Like Oddball said.
    Match Projy's not the best for hunting.
    Federal 130gn HP, the most consistently accurate for me.
    Federal 150gn SP, only just.
    Remington 150gn SP, pretty good.

Different rifles like different ammo, try a few and see what yours likes. I've haven't heard anyone have a whinge about the 130gn Feds.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Bricktop" post=39604
      Like Oddball said.
      Match Projy's not the best for hunting.
      Federal 130gn HP, the most consistently accurate for me.
      Federal 150gn SP, only just.
      Remington 150gn SP, pretty good.

Different rifles like different ammo, try a few and see what yours likes. I've haven't heard anyone have a whinge about the 130gn Feds.
      I whinge about the 130gn Feds, they lack a bit on big pigs, apart from that they are fine.

There always has to be one.

Comment

I've used Remington Core Lokts SP 150gn and 180gn in .308 and .30-06 for many years. Haven't had a reason to change....reliable.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• several
        several commented
        Editing a comment
        180gn Federal soft points shoot ok in my Howa.
        168gn Federal Premium Gold Match are exceptional target rounds, though pricey.

Cheers for the reccomendations guys.... Might jump on the Fed gear and give that a go. Get a few boxes of different stuff and get it out and about on the farm.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, value for money-wise you can't go past the NRAA Palma Match rounds; high-quality Sierra or Dyer HP target projectiles, precision loaded match grade ammo made right here in Australia (it's loaded by Winchester down in Vic), and it's under $22 a box. Cheap Federal or Winne SP's usually cost over $30 a box, and commercial match-grade .308 ammo generally comes in at over 40 bucks a box.

The NRAA ammo is all I use for range work and plinking (including met. Silluettes) and Federal Powershok 150gn SPs do for most of my hunting needs (will use something heavier when I head down to the Vic highlands to have a crack at the Sambar later next year).

I've used the following:
      130gn Federal Tatical Hp's.
      155gn Remmington SP.

Both I've found work real good out of my tikka.
      I've also used Highland 168gn. Wont be buying anymore factory ammo from now on as i'll be reloading my own.

Comment

Before I started reloading I was using Remington 150gr core-lokt psp in my 308.
        Now I'm reloading and using 110gr Vmax, 168gr Nosler BT for hunting & 168gr NCC for target.

Remington Core-lokt's are fine for hunting for a factory loaded round.

Comment

If you are doing factory ammo, whatever your choice, when you select one, buy it by the case...200 cartridges...negotiate a good price.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=39804
            If you are doing factory ammo, whatever your choice, when you select one, buy it by the case...200 cartridges...negotiate a good price.
            Good advice. I have bought bulk in the past, loaded, cheaper than I could buy components.
        Working...
        X